Snapper Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rustyb265, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

Just need a little advice. I just looked at a one season old 48" Snapper Walk behind with a bagger. They are asking $2000, but will sell it to me for $1700. I am pretty sure that is a decent deal, but I am currious if anyone has any opinions on Snapper walk behinds. Never heard one rated before. Its a snapper commercial series. Need responses quick please! Need to make a decision in the next couple hours. Thanks

2. rustyb265

ANYONE?:confused: Got a Snapper review?

3. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Hey Rusty,
    Is it a Hydro or Belt Drive? Kohler or Kawasaki? Fixed Deck or Floating Deck? How many hours?

Ok after all those questions Snapper is a great quality machine. Others say bad and some say good about them. Since I started mowing with a 28" Snapper Rear Engine Rider, Then we moved to a 48" Snapper Walk-Behind, Then next came the 52" Snapper ZTR, the most recent purchase was a Snapper 48" Pro-Hydro.

That's all I have ever used is Snapper. Check and see if you have a dealer near you also, in case you need belts, other odds and ends you might need. See if warranty still valid, and ask where they purchased from.

We haven't had any major problems out of our Snappers. I say get it if it's in decent condition, ask to test it and mow a strip somewhere. Check oil for shavings, check drive belts on wheels if it's a belt drive, check hydro oil if it's a hydro. Check the usual stuff ask about history of machine any major repairs and if well maintained

I can get you some pictures of our Snapper equipment if ya want.

4. rustyb265

Some pics would be great if you dont mind. Thanks. It is a belt drive by the way.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion on Snapper WB belt driven are problematic. The first one we got was about 5 years ago and after two years Snapper gave us a new newer version(Had a lot of arguments but eventually they agreed). We used the new version for about a week and put it up ;for sale and sold it for $2000. They could never get these units to pull properly on hills. Everything was okay first year but in second year it was a problem. We never pulled velke or anything. If your heart is set on Snapper the 36" Hydro is a very good unit...we have two of those.

6. T. Wheeler

I will agree on the belt drive issues, when they get wet they don't pull that great but we just recently got a a hydro a month or 2 ago and is much more easier to use but with a steep learning curve.

Also heres some pics of a hydro (sorry the belt drive isn't here at the moment). There is some deck pics and controls which are similar.

Controls.JPG

Front Deck View.JPG

Right Deck View.JPG

Side Deck View.JPG

After Fixing Up.JPG

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a used Snapper Hydro for $300, put a new engine on it and the adjustable decj and that unit has gone 2 years full use. ONly problem is when you get wear on the hydro handle parts it can slip out of neutral, and when it does you better be sure the kill bar is working.

8. T. Wheeler

I bought the one in those pictures for $850 only needed new belts, front deck rollers, blades, and bearings

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using 3 snapper hydro walk behinds for 6 years with no regrets, they've cut a boatload of grass, and I'll probably change them out with new ones. I did replace the 15hp kohlers with 17 kaws a few seasons back. Overall, I've been real happy with them. I figure each 48 has cut over 110g in grass over its lifetime, so not a bad investment!

10. rustyb265

Well, I bought it. I pick it up tomorrow. IT is 1 year old and I payed 1700 with a used grass catcher thrown in for free. I think I got a decent deal. I guess time will tell. Thanks for the advice.