Snapper Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wannabemowing, Jun 22, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

I am looking for a mower to start a lawn care company with and I noticed a few snapper 48" walk behinds for sale, are snapper walk behinds any good? They are commercial grade but I never hear anybody talking about them on here, are they any good or no? Thanks

Here is an example of one for sale around my area

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/grd/721506889.html

2. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

There not built like the rest of the other commercial mowers. I think if your just starting out and wont have that many to do, I think its a good mower to get started out with. Just make sure you examine that thing with a fine tooth comb and run it and start it yourself. you know, go the whole 9 yards when looking at it.

3. wannabemowing

Thanks for the response! I wouldn't be doing more then 20-25 yards a week but that is if I get lucky and get that many. Maybe I will have to take a look at the mower, would like something different but they are hard to find around here right now.

4. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah, well also go and see how much you could get a new one for and compare. dont forget to look at ALL your options before you drop all that money. look at exmark, toro, scag, walker, wright, and snapper.(might have forgot one) those are the more popular brands with the exception of snapper nobody really talks about them when it comes to a mid size walk behind. im in the same boat as you, wanting to get a new mower cause im doin 18 yards with a 21. ive been doing my research on the computer and asking people and then once I know that i wanna buy a walk behind, then ill start hitting the dealers. good luck, keep us posted

5. Wyllner's L & Landscaping

Wyllner's L & Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey I just got a new snapper walk behind this season. It was last years left over. It is the same one as the one you are looking at, but mine as a fixed deck. I love the thing. The loop handles are the best. I would buy that " almost new" model mower while you still can. Snapper came out with a new walk behind mowers, they lost that whole design, no more loop handles, the new ones look like the Ferris mowers. So if you are looking for that classic snapper walk behind mower. You found it. So get it while you still can. I have no negative things to say about then mower thus far. good luck with everything. By the way, if everything is in working order on that mower, it is a great price. I payed about $5,000 including tax and that same bag (grassgobbler) and I didn't get a sulke yet, so you are looking at a sweet deal

Tom

:usflag:

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah, hes right. The new ones look big and bulky, that one looks compact. but thats just the way they were made. I heard on here that ferris actually bought out snapper. Possibly vise versa.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Briggs owns them both i believe. I had a Snapper Hydro Pro 17/48. It was a really good mower. I would put it up against any other wb.

8. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Snapper is a quality brand that does not get alot of respect on this site. I have used a walk-behind just like the one you are considering quite a bit. That loop steering system is comfortable, and if you are tall or riding a velke I think you will like it really well. Another advantage of the Snappers in these years is that the power unit and deck were sold seperately and the dealer bolted them together. So if you run across a used 36" or 52" deck you can change the size of the mower. This is not a quick change by any means, but it is an option. The height adjustment is a little different than most wb's. There are quick adjustment levers for each side of the deck. Not quite as fast as a four pin floating deck but much quicker than a fixed deck. I always thought the Snappers had good ground speed and left a nice cut, but I don't think they have any kind of a stripe kit. That appears to be an excellent price for the wb shown if it runs well and has no serious issues.

9. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Also I don't know what the Chief is talking about when he says that they are not built as heavy as other commercial units? Go and check for yourself, you will see they are equal to Toro, Exmark, John Deere or Lesco mowers of the same vintage. I don't know what year that unit is but the Kaw engine shows it is an older unit. I will grant you that these Snappers are not as heavy duty as a Scag wb, but no other mower is built that tough in my opinion. Go and test several. Really put your hands on them. Lift the front end and drop it in a controlled bounce. Climb a curb or pop the front end back like you are going up a ramp. These things will give you a good feel for how solidly built a particular brand or individual unit is built. Don't forget to take off the belt covers and manipulate the blade spindles from the top and bottom for any play. Listen to the hydros for loud whine and see if they creep forward or back while the unit should be standing still.

10. wannabemowing

Thanks for all of the input, I thought it seemed like a good deal when I saw it, a little more then I'm looking ot spend right off the bat but if the mower is in good shape I might still go for it, if it's in proper working order. Thanks for all of the input, if anybody else has anything else to say feel free to comment, good or bad.