1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Jul 12, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

I test drove a 36" gear driven fixed deck mower. It is the first walk behind i have ever diven. I was impressed. Are snappers any good. I think the tottal price for the set up is like 3600$ brand new with a bagger.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They are pretty nice. I really like their big floating deck hydro units with the loop handle controls. There are a few owners here and best I recall they were all pretty happy.
  3. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

3600 seems a lot for a 36. If I were you I would look up scag, bobcat and exmark. You can get a exmark gear 48" for 2500
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno about how good of quality a Snapper WB is, But I do Know that $3600 for a gear drive 36"er is high, like @ $1000- 1200 high....
  5. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

BMFD92, may I ask where? And is it used?

I saw a 36" eXmark Metro belt for $2599 brand new..

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a snapper hydro wb this year and I think it's a great machine. I really like the controls, and it's easy to adjust the height.
  7. MightyMc12

It came with a bagging attatchment. Plus I think my local dealer might be a thief.
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I picked up the Snapper Z in a 52" 21hp. Fastback Pro. Really been happy with it. I've heard good things about their WB's and I will probably add a 36" model to my biz next spring. But even w/bagger that price sounds high. I would check around on the internet for some pricing and then go back to the dealer and tell them you did some research and found the pricing to be whatever.

I think if you go back in and show him what you found he will know he's not dealing with just any 17 year old kid but someone who is serious about running a good business and give you a better deal on the unit. They may have thought they could get a few extra bucks out of you due to age & inexperience, eventhough you may have been doing this for a number of years they may not think of it that way.

Just don't try to "show him up", because if you go with his equipment you may need his support down the road.
  9. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i saw a bran new scag 36" yesterday for 2500 and a new bob cat 36" for 2700. So yes the snapper is deff too high!
  10. MightyMc12

Its so crapy how people don't take young people serious. I know that I do just about the best job around, yet still I dont get much respect.