1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper WB's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgt_rjp, Jun 3, 2004.

1. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

I see a lot of you are using snappers for trim mowers. Is there a reason none of you are using the Walk Behinds? I've been looking and they seem to be priced well and built like tanks. I'm about to demo one but the controls look great.

Any recommendations?
  2. cuttinggreen

cuttinggreen LawnSite Member

I am running a 36" Snapper Pro Hydro. I got a great deal on it is the reason I have it. But after running it, I would buy another any day of the week. You are correct, the controls are great, easy to learn and use. The full floating deck is very nice, little scalping. True it is only a 36", but I have had very good luck with mine and simple maintenance.

After running other brands of belt and gear driven units, hydro is the only way to go. I found it odd, however, that the snapper manual says to use regular 10-30 motor oil for the hydro's. It is, however, nice to just have to keep one type of fluid around for the mower.

Only thing I would change, is I wish it put down better stripes. I am working on building a roller to help out in that area. But have not finished yet.
  3. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I have a 98 and a 99 48" pro hydo. Love them both.
  4. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

I should say that I'm looking at the 48" hydro with floating deck. I can get the wb, sulky, mulch kit, bagger, and 21" high vac trim mower for about the same price as the equivalent Toro wb. There aren't a lot of dealers around. I did just visit a Wright dealer and love the stander but don't think I can swing that one.

The Toro dealer also handle Exmark and Great Dane but either he doesn't know anything about them or just doesn't want to sell them. He says that Toro is much better and the other two only offer pistol grip controls.
  5. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 48'' snapper belt drive walkbehind and I LOVE IT!!!!! Havent had any problems in the 2.5 years I've had it. This thing is an absolute Beast.
  6. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback of those of you that use them and love them. Can you compare them to any others you have used?

For any of you that may have tried them and went with something else, could you tell us why?

I think the dealer is offering a good price and he's definetly offering a great price on any accessories I want.

I finally got to see a wright stander and think it's great but I can get a ton of snapper equipment for just the price of the stander. Plus you have the deck height adjustment problem.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Ray, you are right about the Toro dealer here in town. I try not to buy anything I don't have to from them. It is like a big inconvenience to them when they have to order a part or something. They know very little about other lines they carry, and I hate having Toro thrown in my face every time I'm there..As far as the Snapper dealer, I have been dealing with them for years. You can not go wrong with them, and you will get outstanding service to boot.
  8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ray I have the Snapper WB Hydro and although it is a good mower the height adjustment is too cumbersome for me. At first glance it looks great but each side is adjusted independently which makes it difficult to get a level cut. If you adjust height frequently you might look real hard at the height adjustment.