snapper wiring problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by olyman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

have a gt 180---decals on hood say 2000gx--same as yt18--anywho--bought it way low--butttttt---push clutch pedal--start--let go of pedal--kills--push pedal back down--stays running--turn on pto switch--kills---disconnect three wire plug at engine--stays running--have replaced clutch switch--and pto switch--any ideeaarrssssssss???? robert???

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

are you sitting on the seat? if so, then maybe the seat switch. if not, sit on the seat.

3. olyman

if you cross seat wires--kills engine--and no jumper at moment--so??????

4. khouse

well i believe it's in one of the safety switches. the seat switch was the most likely culprit. did you bypass the seat switch matching the wire colors?

5. olyman

didnt bypass--when take switch out of the coupler--its left open--so doesnt ground coil--going to pull harness apart today--to see if wire shorted internally--

6. khouse

i would still test it in the bypass mode

7. olyman

khouse--bingo--but--there is no bypass mode--i/e--when you remove the seat safety switch off the harness--theres a pin inside the molded connector--that shunts across the wires!!!!!! talked to a snapper service tech today--got the seat switch--the taped the plunger down--works now--apparently--the other 2000gx i have--the pin inside the harness aint working-----thats what threw me--know we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. khouse

glad it worked. what i meant was to bypass the switch as in place jumpers across the connector to test.

9. olyman

you cant--jumper shorts it!!! thats why the switch has to be put in--to detent the pin in the molded connector--then have to tape the switch---"open"

10. khouse

ok -we just get lucky sometimes.