Snapper Z rider????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastballbaker, Feb 19, 2006.

1. fastballbaker

fastballbaker LawnSite Member
    from TN

How does one change the hydraulic oil on a 2003 snapper z rider 23hp kohler.
    It just doesn't show a drain plug nor anything about how to drain the hydraulic oil in the owners manuel. What is the best way to get all the oil out of the two reservoirs, filter, pumps and hoses...And about how much hydraulic oil does it take to refill one..
    Thanks...

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to get a service manual for your Z, if it doesen't say how to do a hydro change.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, Contact your dealer for some info!! I know the snappers are a bit different than toro, and bobcat.

4. fastballbaker

from TN

Is the service manual different than what I have."Safety Instructions and Operator's Manual.
    Thanks

5. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

on the hydro pumps,theres a square headed screw to drin them.on the rev. pull the hose off an drain that way,fill rev. two inches from top,run mower around an recheck.they say use 10w30 oil...thats wht i use in mine.i have a 48snapper ztr an a 2 snapper 48 wb.....hope this helps:hammerhead:

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

There you go,does snapper recommend synthetic oil,always put the right filter and oil back in.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That machine has one of the nicest hydro systems there is on a ZTR.
    Be sure to consult your dealer on this one.

The hydros are nothing to play around with and you are not ready to service them yourself yet. One tiny mistake can cost you a bunch of money.

8. fastballbaker

from TN

One more question about the hydro oil...I bought this mower from a friend and the snapper dealer told him to use premium non-detergent "motor oil" when refilling the hydro tanks.
    Motor oil in the hydro tanks and pumps just doesn't sound right???? Or is it?
    Thanks