Snapper Zero Turn Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottInMO, Apr 30, 2006.

1. scottInMO

scottInMO LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Zero Turn Snapper Model#ZT18440KH with about 50 hours. I have a problem similar to other posts I've seen on here but yet to find a solution. The left lever works fine but there is almost no response when using the right lever. If I barely nudge it forward/reverse, it seems to respond ok. But anything beyond that and nothing happens. I've checked the linkage and the right seems to be responding the same as the left. Checked hydro fluid level and it is fine. All belts appear to be fine. I jacked up the rear tires and did forward/reverse for about 5 minutes with engine at full speed. With the lever all the way forward the right tire was sluggish at first but finally started to pick up speed but leveled off after about a minute and maintained this speed. I compared it with the top speed of the left tire and found the right tire's top speed was maybe 1/2 of the left tire's top speed.
    I lowered the mower and tried to drive around, same problem described above, no movement from right lever. I jacked the mower up again, ran the same tests and had pretty much the same results. I'll probably just have to take it to the dealer but any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you may have a air leak somewhere, Check all hose fittings, Connectors, Clamps ect. in the system for tightness. Look for any wet looking dirt build-up around shaft seals, Pump input and out put shafts and wheel axle seals. That would be a sign of a small enough leak to suck air but may not be bad enough to leak a lot of oil.

3. scottInMO

Thanks a bunch for the quick response and suggestions. I'll give it a shot and see what I can find.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Without really knowing much about this mower the first thing I would check is the hydrostatic release valve or bypass every manufacturer is different but I have seen where some one has opened the valve to push or free roll the unit and then re tighten it by hand and they can vibrate loose causing the fluid in that pump to bypass giving you the no power on one side problem. I always check the simple stuff first:hammerhead: hope this helps.

5. scottInMO

I think I may have found something. I was checking the belts again with the engine running and I noticed that one of the pump drive pulleys was loose and wobbling, it happened to be the pulley on the right side(the problem side). As I was going to take a closer look I noticed tiny metal shavings on the concrete from one side of the pulley grinding into the metal so I knew something wasn't right. When I got in closer I noticed some dampness around the pulley, I'm guessing possible leakage from the pump above. It wasn't much, atleast not enough to cause a drip. So I tried to tighten the pulley but noticed the pulley had been pulled off center a little so as I was tightening nothing was happening. So I pulled the bolt out and tried pulling the pulley back over center so I could get the bolt back in, but had no luck. Am I going to have to take the belt off to re-secure the pulley? Could this loose pulley be the problem with the right lever not producing full power? Keep in mind I don't know much about mechanics and repair stuff like this and I'm trying to describe these problems the best I can, so if more detailed info is needed from me please let me know.

By the way, I checked the release valve and it was tight.
    Thanks again for the help guys

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have sheared a key or stripped splines on the shaft and or pulley. You need to remove the pulley and see which, If the pulley is off center it has been slipping on the shaft. For your sake you may be able to just replace the pulley if it's keyed as long as the shaft isn't wore too bad, If it's splined you may be buying a new pump.

7. scottInMO

Looks like I sheared the key. The shaft appears to be in good shape so hopefully just a new pulley will take care of it. Thanks again for all your help.

8. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

do you live near Carthage? if so, I would take it to Moorehouse in Carthage 431 olive st. Ask for Don. He is awesome at finding the problem.

9. buddney

buddney LawnSite Member

thanks for all you folks with responses - I'll check with your suggestions and see if any of them work..buddney

10. scottInMO

No, I live in Branson.