Snapper ZTR's

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MoonCricket, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MoonCricket

MoonCricket LawnSite Member

How is Snapper's quality right now?
    I'm looking to get a ZTR and am considering the Scrambler or the Fast Cut.
    Also, any ideas on the Pro's and Con's of "Joystick" verse "Twin
    Levers" would be appreciated.
    My yard is 1 acre +/- and with slight slopes in areas, nothing real steep and my home is waterfront (saltwater).
    I mention this because saltwater is brutal on metal and maybe
    needs considering.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Check out the JAZee (www.countryclipper.com) if there's a dealer in your area. They used to build the Snapper (and several others) until starting their own line. It's more rugged (I demoed it on my 2-year unmowed back section) and the flip-up deck makes for easy maintenance (and corrosion prevention). The joystick is great, but takes some getting used to if you're a twin-stick old-timer (it took me two complete mowings, while my 10 yo mastered it immediately). I've only mowed 3 times in almost 2 months because my sons, neighbors and friends insist on doing it. Good luck...

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Mooncricket, I picked up the Snapper Pro Fastback Z about 3 weeks ago. It's a twin stick and I found it to be much easier to control on slopes/hills then the joystick model. If you don't have slopes to deal with then I wouldn't worry about it.

Sweet machine, I love mine. This is only the second year Snapper has produced the Z I have so I don't think a lot of people have them. Snapper as a whole has been pretty good over the years from what I've experienced & heard.

Good luck with your decision.

Buck

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey MoonCricket, If you are looking at Snapper you must be dealing with coastal on Moutian Drive, Real nice people and thier service manager will take good care of you. Before making a purchase check out Koining Small Engine over in the industrial Park. He is located behind the U-Haul dealer all the way at the end of the road. He is mainly a repair shop but is also a dealer for toro and a few other brands. He is not looking on making money on the sale of the units but wants the service there after so in you might be able to get alot more bang for your buck. He also will pick up and deliver the unit if it needs servicing. As you are a home owner and only using it on your property that should be few and far in between. Best thing is if you buy it from him you are first in line to get repaired. Good luck with your decision and if I can help out my cell is 217-8261 or if you see a white truck with Bell Lawn on the side just stop and say hi.

Rhett

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the twin stick!

The 44" 18 HP Snapper is a great mower. It is built by Ferris and has full size hydro pumps and wheel motors.

I wouldn't sell a Scrambler (joy stick model) if it was going to be used on slopes.

Oldtimer

6. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

MoonCricket
    I bought a Snapper FastCut 1844 a few weeks ago at Seville Lawn Care in Pensacola and LOVE it. Beautiful cut and a BLAST to operate!

7. aimhigh

aimhigh LawnSite Member

I bought the 52" Fastcut with the joystick about 22 mowing hours ago and love it. I don't have any huge slopes but do have some trees and the joystick is great because I can clear the way and drive (or drink and drive!) and not lose momentum. Plus, the joystick thing is ton's of fun.

I looked at most brands and they all seem about the same to me. Mostly it comes down to what you like. I like the joystick. They all cut grass.

Good luck.

8. MoonCricket

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to demo the Snappers, Hustler
    Mini Z and Country Clipper JAZee next week and decide.

9. MoonCricket

Hey Rhett, do you run a lawn service?
    I have 3 personal lawns to maintain and may need
    to set up an account for mowing, laying pine straw etc.
    on one of them.
    My free time is getting stretched pretty thin.

10. MoonCricket

Bought the Jazee Two/48", 20HP Kohler w/mulch kit this past week after I demo'd all of my other choices.
    People looking for a Light Commercial/Estate grade mower
    should consider the Jazee Two in their list of mowers.
    I was impressed.