1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Apr 21, 2007.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Ok first this goes out to anyone that has owned a snapper commercial ZTR especailly those that had joystick models.

My local dealer has a 48" 1999 model ztr with the joystick controls. I am 99% sure it only has 500 hours on it. Amoung other things it has new tires, new spindles, belts, and has been all tuned up. I stoped in right a closeing time so I didn't have time to test it around the parking lot but all in all it looks like it is in great shape. He is asking $2,000 for it.

I have heard that these old joystick models get real sloppy and have hydrolic problems. Is it worth $2000 bucks?
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you might wanna check to see how the company is doing..... they allmost went out of business a few years back......

Just make dang sure you can get parts......
  3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If thats what you want then its your chioce but i would not have one of those snappers on my triler if someone gave it to me. Yes i have driven one for about 3 hours and in my opinion it was the biggest PITA ever. It was hard to keep my lines straight pain in the ass to turn around i just didnt like it. I think alot of home owners buy them looking at them and thinking o wow those will be really easy to control but if they ever drove another ztr w 2 seperate handles they would see it is night and day at least to me. I guess its what your going to be using it for. For me it has to be fast or cut great i run walkers and grasshoppers simply walke for res quality cut and grasshopper for wide are because thats what the dealers here support not alot of other choices although snapper is one thats around here. Im not bashing snapper but i really didnt like the one i drove
  4. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

I would worry to much about snapper going out of business as they are owned by simplicity which makes Ferris. But a joystick contol??? you might want to ask why are there not more mowers like that out in the field
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should hear from someone who uses them? I have a 60" joystick and have had no problems! I respect the guys with the twin stick mowers and believe its all personal preference. Guys with twin sticks only want twin sticks, guys with joystick only want joystick! I can assure you I can run just as tight a line and strip as anyone with a twin stick, but can you see me on a twin stick, Man that would be funny to see!!:laugh:
  6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i think alot of it is operator preferance every machine has its pros and cons for sure and there will alwase be someone out there that feels the machine is great and someone who feels they have a better one thats why there is about a million ztr models offered
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I think I may just get it. Like my wife said. "hell it's only $2,000 if it sucks, put it in the front yard with a sign on it, at least your not spending 10k on something that turns out to be a peice." the thing still is in operation after 8 years, and I don't think anyone makes a better homeowner machine than snapper.

My big concern now is that on another site a guy mentioned that it was hard on his carple tunel which I have, so who knows.
  8. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Yes, and what I've read, Briggs and Stratton bought out Simplicity, and now owns Simplicity, Ferris and Snapper. So, I think they will be around for awhile.
  9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

After a long day my wrist does hurt from time to time
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

While I like their newer twin stick models (52" & 61") but I do not like their joystick models PERIOD.

If you like joysticks, get a Country Clipper.