Snappers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bladewielder, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use Snapper commercial mowers? I do and always have because of their low price and that I have a dealer that is understanding and is willing to work with us. So far they have done a pretty good job and we have about fallen in love with the joystick control (one of our mowers is a twin-stick). I have seen little talk about them on Lawnsite and am curious if many people use them and what their thoughts are concerning them. :rolleyes:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few people that use them. Most have had good luck with them.

3. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

You are right! Not much talk about Snapper. hmmm might be a good sign. I run a 48" Kawasaki Snapper WB, no trouble whatsoever. Regular Maintenace and it's strong as a bull. We use it about 25% of the week and full time back up to our Lazer 60".
    Great dealer support as well. Plan to keep it working for us for a long while.

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 93 Snapper 52"walkbehind with the 16hp Vanguard engine, its the best mower ive had in 11yrs. I will still be using it everyday this season,built very well, i did buy a 2001 scag hydro i use it also but when im not riding on my Z i perfer the Snapper with the doubles stripes great,and has been the most dependable mower on my fleet. Marks Mowing Service

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Bladewielder way do you say the Snapper commercials are cheap? They are the same price as the Scags and Exmarks in Evansville In. In fact i just price a 36" Snapper 15hp Kaw was 4590 thats not cheap in my book....Marks Mowing Service

6. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

In my area they are relatively cheap when compared to what is available in local dealers. In addition to Snapper we have to choose from Grasshopper, Kubota, Dixie-Chopper, Husqvarna, Dixon, and Ferris. I'm not saying they will beat all brands price-wise all the time but by and large they seem to be a pretty good deal. The two we have were about two grand less than comparable machines of some of the brands listed. Like I said we have a very good dealer and end up paying a pretty reasonable amount for the machines. If it wasn't for advertisements in TURF and the internet I wouldn't even know about brands like Great Dane, Hustler, Exmark, Scag, or Gravely. So I can't compare Snapper to many brands that some people are familiar with.

7. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I have a Snapper 48" WB. 14 horse Kawasaki. This will be my fith season with it. It has been a great mower. The only real complaint I had about it was that the brake bands kept breaking, 3 or 4 per season. I sent Snapper a letter about it with a picture of some of the broken bands and with in a week I had a box on my doorstep with 6 new bands in it. No charge to me.

Jason

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my snapper wb's (2-36's, 1-48 & 1-52). Their finger control tabs cut down on carpal tunnel (spg) and the cut looks good. I'm not as fond of their new deck styles though. Their new tranny's are heavy duty although you can no longer knee-shift the gear control. I have their rider '99 model single stick - only machine I waiver on. I think their hydros are too loud and not as well designed and I hate the single joystick control - waste too much time making k-turns so turf doesn't get torn up - (it really isn't quite a zero turn machine IMHO)

Bob

9. one of the reasons why you dont hear much about snapper anymore.They have changed the whole outlook of the company.
    They use to be a great machine. But they have changed so much.They are more for the homeowners.Bladewielder is your dealer on stateline road if it is.He is a very good and loyal dealer