Snapshot anyone? best alternatives?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TJLANDS, Mar 20, 2008.

1. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I absolutely hate paying over 90 a bag for snapshot now.
    I am using 008 Pre-em from lesco this year exclusively. $14 a bag.
    Anybody else use any other ornamental weed controls that are cost effective?

2. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

I use snapshot but it is very expensive. I pay about $85/bag here. I did get lucky last summer w/ out Home Depot Landscape Supply going out of business and got 6 bags for $37/each. Havent used anything else though, but just make sure you water your snapshot, virtually ineffective if not watered.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

mix gallary with one of these pendumlem 3.3ec/prodamine/dimension and you will get the same control.. but its liquid, i'm not a fan of granular control products.

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Ditto! I live Gallery+Prodiamine works great, cost less & much more accurate to apply liquid.

5. qualitylawnpro

qualitylawnpro LawnSite Senior Member

I paid with tax $145 for a bag of snapshot last week!

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

(switching crowd microphone on)

Personal Foul

Clipping

15 yards

Repeat 1st down.

(switch mike off)

Sounds like my Lesco here.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do not do granular anything. Cost is one reason, accuracy of placement and coverage is the other. The other reason is many of the ornamentals I maintain react adversely to having granules stuck on their growing points. I routinely use Gallery + Surflan around ornamentals. My cost per acre is about $200. If I were to do Snapshot granules, I would be looking at $600 per acre. Pre-M alone is a very bad idea. A grass breakthrough actually does not worry me too much because Fusilade or Poast will kill grass without damaging the ornamentals. OTOH, a broadleaf breakthrough is much more problematic because there are very few herbicides for that in ornamentals.

8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We're still using Snapshot applied with a "Spread Rite" for accuracy. Heavy rate first year and very light rate 2nd and 3rd year give outstanding control at the same price. 4th year heavy rate again.

9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I love those things. I always keep a couple of them in my trailer.

10. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I just spread two bags today spread-rites is the only way to go. We just use it to buy us some time for the crews to start back-up on the monthly schedule. Its not cheap but it does the job we charge by the can or buy one spreader full.