snapshot in ornamenals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmland, Mar 1, 2007.

1. rmland

rmland LawnSite Member

Just wondering how fussy you all get when applying snapshot or other preemergents to ornamental beds. Do you remove all leaves and other material? I have a client with 15000 sq ft of beds. He is not interested in a clean up but very much wants preemergent. I will tack on some extra remove last year's iris, day lilly, etc. But it rubs me wrong not to get as much soil contact as possible.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I always have to do a cleanup to get all the debris out of the beds. Even with good soil contact, the weeds will come, depending on a lot of rain, etc.
    If you make an application over the debris, and the weeds come in, you can bet they will be calling and whining about weeds. I believe that if they want to pay for a professional service using a quality pre emergent, then the little extra for a cleanup is what they are getting. Plus the beds will look better and other people will see your handy work and want it done too.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they don't want all the junk out of there first, I would skip the pre-emergent. You'd basically be wasting yur time and much of your product.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the previous posters.
    It is absolutely critical to first insure that the pre-emergent is in good contact with the soil then it requires a good amount of irrigation to water in.
    Provided the customer doesn't want the leaves, mulch, etc moved first I wouldn't recommend the application.
    The customer will get mad as the chemical isn't working then will bad mouth you.

5. rmland

rmland LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, got lucky and convinced client on full clean up today. It is so easy to let yourself be talked into cutting corners, but that is the stuff that wakes you up at night