Sneaking mowers through gates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 11, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I recently heard some guys have leaned a walk behind to the side on two wheels to clear a gate where they otherwise would just be too wide. I also know you can maneuver with some designs to get the deck through (usually ones with large trim side overhangs). I'm shopping for a 2nd "small area" mower and really like the idea of the stander mowers. Question:

Does the deck design of the Wright Stander lend itself to squeezing through? I have a few 36" gates that my Toro wb has to be tilted to fit through. Think I could finagle a stander through one too? I prefer the stander because to justify getting it I would sell my backup ZTR (that otherwise would get little use) and use the stander as my emergency backup for larger areas.

I would also love to hear any other tricks of the trade for getting mowers through. I can't move any of these gates, btw.

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have two for you but wouldn't suggest unless you know the customer and refer to him or her as a friend, or a friend of a friend.

#1 Chain link fence that guards the large backyard but would usually only allow a 36" to pass. Tools needed, wrench. What to do, remove nuts holding the fence up and pull back section of chain link so that it is now wide enough to easily fit Z through. But be careful of the bar that is still remaining, don't forget to duck. Procede and replace section of fence when done.

#2 Wood fence that guards the large backyard yadayadayada. Tools needed, hammer. What to do. Remove a large enough section of fence and carefully replace when done. This comes in real handy and is a must during fall when the Z is the only machine used to collect leaves.

Anything past that, I am walking it or changing the guard.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is not a fun problem to have. I make sure to measure at the bottom of all gates before giving a bid to make sure I can get the right equipment in there. Leaning the equipment over on its side is the only trick that I know of short of taking down the fence.

Gravely_Man

4. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I think Wright makes a deck that folds to fit through gates. I know someone out there does if not them. Another option is to rig a section of wood fence to be removeable. Use slide bolts on all four corners and cut through the support posts. Just make sure the posts are secure and will not move when you cut. Been doing that for my long time customers, but make sure you get permission!!

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are thinking about the gateway by greatdane.

I know mowing the mower on it's side is not good for it. I have a hydro w/b and it really stresses the handles whenever I move it. The handles have been broken off many times so I would NOT suggest tilting it on it's side because It will weaken the handle bar dramatically.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had a few where i had to back the mower in. seemed u could get in and out backwards, not fowards. also blew a few tires trying to force them thru the gate. then i bought a 32, fits everywhere.

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

If its chain link I ask the home owner if I can widen the gate for free. only takes a few bucks and my time. well worth it if I can get my 52" in there back yards. I have done this to 2 of my accounts and have a couple more to do. plus if they are planning on putting in a fence I alway ask if they will make sure they put in a 54" gate for me to keep there cost down.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

All excellent replies. Thanks.