Sneaky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I know I will probably get lambasted for this but I will tell it anyway. I have a customer who does not use fert on her lawn. We have tons of rain up here in Michigan and each Monday the lawn barely needs a cut. In July and August, I'm afraid it wont grow one bit. I have a limited customer base right now, first year in the business. She was gone last week so when I mowed, I tossed down some fert out of my pocket to hopefully get the grass to grow a little bit. I noticed this past Monday the yard was a little longer so it appears to have worked somewhat. Should I get her to use fert that I put down or just do it every once in a while when she is gone and pay it out of my pocket and then next year get her on a fert program? She is gone once a month on Monday's for doctor checkups so I know I can toss down some fert on those days.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well obviously try to get her to pay for it. But sometimes on yards that want it cutevery two weeks I'll through down some cheap fertilzer from homedepot to get some growth so we'll have to switch to once a week.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Instead of making more work for yourself, if you know she's gone, why not just sneak in a window and steal some money from her change jar?

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thats funny:D

5. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

that sounds shady to put fertilizer down without telling her. real shady.

6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see why its shady, she wants the yard cut each week no matter what, even if it doesnt rain for months, she still wants it cut each and every week. This way her yard looks a little better in those dryer months and I can get the satisfaction that I am actually cutting grass instead of nothing in July and August and just wasting gas. I wont bill her for it, I think I will try and get her on a fert program next spring.

7. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

All I Have to say is "CHEMICAL TRESPASSING". Here in NY you'll get your but handed to you for doing that.

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Your right you will get lambasted, that just wrong.

9. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

you cannot put chemicals down on other people's lawns without telling them.
    It is against the law and just wrong.

10. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

It seems wrong to me too. You could talk to her about the need for fert and how it helps to build a stronger turf and if she refuses then so be it. If she wants you to mow dust in august because she has no yard then mow it anyway. But I wouldn't throw down fert without her consent.