1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snickerdoodle Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firehairbomb, Aug 12, 2006.

1. firehairbomb

firehairbomb LawnSite Member

Hi I am from in the Reno County, Kansas area and would appreciate any help or advice regarding to my business.

1.)What mower/mowers would be the best for a beginning business owner/worker in Hutchinson,Kansas with between 5-10 lawns per week? Preferably make it end up being under $2000 for this part. I'm currently using a 5.5 HP Craftsman Push mower.

2.)What should I do to haul my equipment? I'm not old enough to drive yet so should I hire someone to transport it? How much should I pay?

3.)What should I pay my employee? He knows how to and will do anything that I offer except weedeating. Should I pay him per hour or per job?

4.) Thank you for your input. Just keep the input coming and I'll keep on learning and helping others.
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, this makes THREE of us from Hutchinson! Now, to answer questions:
    1. A used 42-44in Dixon would be perfect (I would STRONGLY reccomend going to Fairview Service vs. Elys...they have much better service at Fairview)
    2. Start out just doing lawns in your neighborhood, or do like i did, and have your dad or grandpa drive you to your lawns with your mower on a trailer
    3. If you aint old enough to drive, you probablly CANT legally have an employee...and you REALLY dont need one, a good frined of mine does 75 or more lawns a week, with basically NO help, at all, except on days that he is behind because of rain. I am doing 7 lawns a week now with NO help, and i get them done in about 4 hrs. or so, one day a week.
    4. Your welcome, feel free to send me a PM anytime.
  3. KS_Grasscutter

Also, just out of curiosity, how old are you, if you aint old enough to drive? I am 16, sophmore this year at HHS.
  4. firehairbomb

1.) I was kinda looking for a self propelled or push mower.

2.)I was planning on having grandpa drive me around, but do I need a trailer or not?

3.)This "employee" would probably just be a part-time, paid by customer, do whatever needs doing in his part of town.

4.)Thank you very much for the advice.

I know of a couple of people you haven't seen yet. They include:you, me, Jason Rose, mike bell, and lawnranger2004.

BTW I'm 12 and going to school at HMS-7.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

Hey, shoot me an email sometime. Email address is in my profile or whatever on here.

Also: 1. If you want a self-propelled, get a JD JX75 or a Toro Proline.
    2. If you only have a pushmower, you will need no trailer.
    3. Still, no employee, at all costs. I found at the hard way that having friends help you only leads to ruined frienships, and crappy work.

So there are 5 of us? Wow... i guess that is just more evidence hutch does infact have the highest number of LCOs per capita of anywhere in the USofA. I guess sometime we need to have a "Hutchinson Lawnsite Members" dinner at Skeats on main! (to the non-hutch people, skeats is only THE BEST BURGER PLACE IN AMERICA)
  6. KS_Grasscutter

Also, I did a search on mike bell, and lawnranger2004, and the last activity for both of them was in 2004...so i guess that just leaves 3 of us.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

yea, don't have friends work for you no matter how much they bug the hell out of you saying they want to help you out. Welcome to LS man, youll like it here
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

12 yrs old? Isnt that alittle young? No way would I let my son mow yards at 12. Maybe a couple friends for some play money. But not anything more. Thats a huge liability. My son is 10 and I wouldnt let him mow my yard. Just too young.

Worry about your education. Thats far more important.

Just my opnion
  9. KS_Grasscutter

I am kinda 50/50 on this...I started a little before 12 on a couple neighbors yards, but just really started expanding this summer, after i turned 16, as i can now drive to my accounts. I will tell you one thing, my quality of work is like a thousand times better now then it was when i was 11 or 12. But, you got to start somewhere...and in my opinion, the earlier you start, the quicker you will get experience and do better work.

EDIT- just rememberd...DO NOT, and i seriously mean DO NOT apply any type of pesticide...(herbicide, insecticide, etc...even roundup, i believe)...you CAN apply straight fertilizer, but not with any kind of weed control or crabgrass preventer or whatever. I heard from another LCO that if you get caught, you get to pay the state like $5000.
  10. firehairbomb

Thanks for the tips everyone! The only question I have is, i started at age 7, thats 5 years ago, and I only have 3 accounts for mowing and one may or may not need her lawn mowed next year.

P.S. 2 are family and the other 1 is a cornor lot. Any clue how much I should charge for the cornor?Thank you.