snipe or spade skid attachments

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Aug 9, 2001.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody used either of these , and what do you think. I am considering purchasing one for my skid steer. Not sure which one. They seem expensive for what they are ?? Any alternatives. Any feedback would be appreciated.. Thanks

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Is this what you are talking about??
    [​IMG]

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the Snipe at Mid Am. Paul, its the long(6') and narrow(20") bucket for skids. Looks like it might have good apps for retaining wall filling and mulching over walls. I thought about one for unloading a truck without having to dump all your dirt, rock, mulch... Haven't committed for the $1k+ yet though.
    Paul,
    I was also looking at spades like that. Can't quite swing a hydraulic yet but wondered how these things work? Any input using a 753 Bobcat?
    Scott

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Have never tried a spade like this on any thing smaller than a LS160, sooooo, can't tell you for sure, but on that machine or larger they work great, takes 5 minutes to dig a hole and we figure 15 minutes for it planted. one tool to do it all, dig, carry, plant, backfill and mulch.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Paul,

Is the back of that spade(in your pic) open? If so how does that work and why is it open? Ours is closed. We also welded two hooks to the top(for a chain) which is handy for moving trees around.

SCL,

I have used our spade on a 843 but it is not that great. This is a older machine. It works "okay" on the 853 but of course works best on the 863.
    Like Paul said they can be a great all purpose tool. Another great use ....when placing larger rocks you can place them easier in the exact spot you want them then you can with a bucket.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

our NH's have a solid plate attachment so the hole is covered, Neat idea welding hooks on for a chain going to look into that.

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen that Bobcats digger has an all open back to it. Thy claim that way you can use it to trench backwards or level with it. When I contacted them about size for my 753 they said 2' was about it. Seems like that would be a little small.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Interesting... like I said ours is closed and I would not want it open ,for ours is used mainly for digging tree holes.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Paul,

No that wasn't the one I was talking about.. The one Scott mentioned is .. There are two companies making similar ones.. The snipe and then one called the spade.. I think They are both about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide, with a few teeth at the end.. I guess they are similar in function to the one you showed. Basically what I want it for is digging holes for trees and walls, moving trees and stones, popping and digging out trees and shrubs and maybe moving some soil or gravel in between.. The two I mentioned claim they can do all of this.. They are all a little pricy though about 1500.00 each.. I think the one you showed is about 1K .. That's the ffc one ?

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Chris, look at the FFC one I think you'll like it better! I think 6' is too long it will put too much stress on the loader linkage while digging holes.