1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a snow deflector that actually keeps snow off the truck?. I run Fisher plows and will buy the fisher snofoil if I knew it worked but to outfit both of my plows would be $550.00, I want to be shure before I spend the money. Anyone have any suggestions? If there is a better or cheeper deflector let me know?

Thanks

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a used conveor belt on my plow i got from the junk yard and it works great and it's cheap plus it's flexable.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

They work well if you are plowing at higher speeds. Where the snowfoil has a problem is stacking. I found that snow would fall on top of it when stacking and then fall back into the cleared path. I took my snofoil of and I run a rubber deflector. I would like to come up with a quick mount dismount for it cause I would use it on my private roads but not driveways.

4. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

The Fisher snofoil works really well in deep snow,as it helps roll the snow over,making it easier to push.Only problem,because it sticks out in front of the actual blade,when piling or stacking,it tends to get pretty bashed up if your not careful.The old conveyor belt trick works well.Or just buy a bolt on rubber deflector.Both will keep the snow off the truck,for the most part.

5. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Depending on how fast you are plowing the steel deflector fisher makes may help. It's the cheapest thing fisher sells for their plows, I thnik I paid around 80$ and it's great when you're stacking. When you get going over 20 with light powder it's gonna be on the wind shield though. At the dealer they told me the foil was good for open parking lots where there is nothing to hit it on and you want to roll the snow, however he warned me that at high speeds wet snow would lift the plow slightly.

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The snow foil is upwards of 200.00, so if you need 2 you will be in the 4-500.00 range, like you mentioned.
    WE use old conveyor rubber, and if you want it to look better, just poof can it black. It will look fine. I know some people that use the foil and a rubber deflector. I used to have a foil, and even have made a few. They work ok, but till limit you in some aspects. I like the rubber better.
    Dino

7. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I also use old conveyor rubber for my snow deflector, and something else that you can do to make it look nice (in addition to the black paint mentioned in the previous post) is to use a piece of flat bar (1/8" x 2" wide works well) and sandwich the rubber between the flat bar and moldboard. This keeps the rubber nice and flat along the top. (I went a little overboard with mine, I used a piece of stainless flat bar and stainless bolts with acorn nuts.) Being in the welding trade and doing a fair amount of work for the aggregate companies is handy for me - lots of good heavy belting available there!

8. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Acorn nuts? 75 you don't ride a Harley too do you? Angelo's supply (www.angelos-supplies.com) has rubber deflectors for $68.00 the last time I checked.

Bruce
    Happy Plowing

9. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

No, much as I'd like a Harley they're a little out of my league for the moment - my Virago will have to do for now! Seriously, yes, I do like to use stainless fasteners and acorn nuts to dress the truck up a little. I admit they don't make it push snow any better, I just like the look of them!

1975 GMC C-35

10. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know come to think of it my front liscense plate is on with chrome acorns.

Bruce
    Happy Plowing