1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snow Advise

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Andrew Kovacs, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

Well here it comes:(
    I have been pushing snow for five years, and looking at year six my back already hurts. Im running two trucks and at 6" Ill do 17hours. However Billing $45 an hour never seems to add up too $765. Sure I do the little old lady across the street for $5. But does any one ever make out good when it snows?
    Please shoot me some good snow advise.
    Note most of this work I do as a sub and I bill by the hour, does any one have a formula for parking lots, slots, size, how many inches gets the increase.
    90 3/4 cummins
    90 yj for clean up
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Are you familiar with this site?
    This is lawnsite's sister site, same format as here.
    I did a quick search and I didn't see you signed up over there.
    Lots of professionals over there will be able to give you some hints and advice.
  3. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

You are not taking in account for the travel time. 8 minutes between stops=136+2hr16 minutes. Even 5 minutes is 85 minutes. You need to rasie your rate a little and as said before plowsite.com
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I base my average on $125.00 per hour, but I do have an account that is way above that. It's a 2 hour push ($600.00) up to 5" doubles after that. plus $480.00 for salt. Total for a n average snowfall is $1080.00 for 2 hours and 2 tons of salt. Don't get me wrong.. jobs like this are few and far between. The route I plow takes about 6 hours and I gross just over $2000.00 including salting.
  5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

You gotta charge more per hour. My rates are any where from $100-$175 depending upon the job and location. My residential route can be done in 4-5 hours (one pass per driveway) and grosses just over $2000. There is money to be made for sure.
    Check out www.plowsite.com and www.sima.org.
  6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

If you're writing your own contracts and managing the whole business, you need to raise your rates. You can make money as a subcontractor working for someone else if you don't have to take into consideration all of the other overhead associated with running a business.

If you're writing your contracts/selling/servicing, etc. than you need to raise your rates. Try raising rates and shortening your plow routes so that you can provide better service to your customers. In heavy storms you should be able to service you customers multiple times through out the day.

Check out the sites already mentioned. Consider joining SIMA if you want to get great information to all of your questions related to snow. The symposium will be in Minneapolis, MN in June 2004. Not too far from you.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -