snow blade or snow thrower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by schunklawn, Dec 25, 2007.

1. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

hey guys...i'm interested in getting a blade or a snow blower for a ztr...i'm wondering which would be more efficient...any experience with these two on a ztr? i am not sure if its the best way to go or not but i think it would be killer for residential properties...i use two snow throwers now for my customers, but i think i may be able to improve with a blade or another snow thrower on a ztr...thanks and happy holidays

No Bunk

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would not get a blade or blower for a Z. They aren't made for that. I realize the need to optimize your equipment but that is just abuse on the Z. I know the grasshopper units they show with either, same with walkers, etc but I no toro doesn't recommend it cuz one guy in my town used his, ran it hard and they did not cover a few items under warrenty.

3. PrimeCut Lawn Maintenance

PrimeCut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I use a blade on my Grasshopper and it does a great job...But I too have been thinking about buying the snow-blower for it. The blowers "seem" to leave it looking cleaner...Good luck!

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a 60" blade and a 48" snowthrower for my grasshopper. The blade is better for dry snow under 15". For a heavy snow, I use the thrower. I would recommend a blade first. I also use the blade for pushing mulch around on some mulch jobs.

5. bob

from DE

48" thrower [​IMG]

6. bob

from DE

60" Dozer Blade
    [​IMG]

7. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

I do have a 60'' blade on a ZTR and for parking lots it works pretty good however like was mentioned it is just abusing the machines. My father used a Grasshopper with a snow blower on the front and it worked GREAT for moving snow. That would be the only way to go in my thinking.

Timo

8. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

thanks a lot for the comments guys. i think i'm gonna go with a snow thrower instead of the blade. i have heard about abuse to the z's with those types of attachments, but i am willing to take the risk. i am going to put a snow thrower on mine. i think the snow thrower will put less stress on the machine based off some basic understanding of your guys comments and just common sense. i appreciate everything...

No Bunk:usflag:

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't use a blade or a blower I would mulch them where it lays. You are removing valuable nutrients if you take it off the pavement. Using my Bobcat I can mulch the snow into tiny bits and make it disappear. It's all about using the right equipment for the job.

I used to have a snow thrower for my Walker but it wasn't suitable for around here. We have too much snow and when it's wet the Walker would just spin. I do have a Steiner 4x4 tractor style and use on blade on it but not very often. I have a Ford 1520 compact tractor and use it most of the time.

10. alesia

alesia LawnSite Member

What are you talking about mulching sir?