Snow Blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Services, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

I've been to the local ford new halland dealer in my area
    and have looked at some snow plows for my commercial
    front mount mower with is a cm222 72inch deck
    however it will be a manual angle blade i will use it on my small drives etc. what are some opinions of you guys that have used a blade on a front mount in normal conditions
    i'am not talking over 5ft of snow i would then be forced to use my tracter with a rear blade but that is a pian and before you guys say why not a pickup keep in mind i'am talking small areas where is my pickup would be at parking lot jobs

thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use a JD 430 tractor with a 54" blade to do small areas and it has worked out great for the past 10 years. Mine has hydraulic angle and down pressure, which is handy. If you put on a bar type tractor tire, it will be the best for snow. It is amazing how much snow it will push. I'm not sure what mower your talking about, so I don't know if this information is of any use to you.

3. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

the cm222 is just about the same as i jd935 it is disel yanmar and it has down presure this isnt a ztr it turns from the rear

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I picked up a used 48" blade for my Grasshopper last year. The price was $200. Far better than the $600+ the dealer wanted. It weighs in at about 150lbs. I don't trailer it any where. I just use it at home(2800sqft. drive) and on the neighbors. Last year my son made over $200 the first snow, doing neighbors drive ways.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Ransomes 723D and was thinking of putting a blade on it to play in the snow this winter. It is also a rear steering mower so I guess it would work as well as the Deere. I'll probally just make up some chains to go on it instead of buying bar tires, we have gravel laneways out here in the sticks. I am planning on making a blower for it for next year, too busy this year cutting to have it ready. We have a couple of inches of snow already but it's gonna melt soon again.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn Services,

I used to have a JD F935, if yours is 2WD I would advise against it. Unless its just for some sidewalks and maybe your driveway. They just dont have the traction for a blade. A blower however, is a great idea. I have seen these in a shopping center near me (It was a 4WD F1145) with like a 50 or 60" blower hurling snow like 40ft!! Black smoke coming out and it just kept on hurling it! It had a heated cab with beakon and windsheild wipers. Cool setup. I would steer clear of a blade unless you can pick it up cheap. They get stuck real easy!!!

Good luck

7. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare LawnSite Member

Dixie 1
    You didn't happen to be in York, did you? I have the exact same setup. Ztr's are great for mowing, but for snow nothing beats 4wd diesel power. Also have a power-angle blade for it.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, not in York, but Trappe, PA. But, how did you like the blade setup? The 4WD would be better with a blade than a 2WD. If you have the money get a blower it will give you an excuse to keep the old cumbersome front runner!!

9. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare LawnSite Member

Dixie 1
    Actually, I have a blower and a blade for it. I maintain medical facilities during the day and use the blade w/rubber cutting edge for the light amounts that accumulate on the walks in 1/2 hour increments till I can repeat pass over again. Also have Meyer mini-spreader mounted on the back with speed control turned all the way down to spread ice-melt on walks ( they want it WET lol) Blower works great for walks along streets where the plows have piled up snow 2-4 feet deep. It's a shame to keep a year old F1145 w/360 hrs just for snow removal, but our Exmarks just aren't designed with snow removal in mind ( try the spreader on the back w/500 lbs. of salt in it, you'll get a nice view of the sky!)LOL