Snow blower replacement

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fritowrdo, May 15, 2008.

1. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Time to replace the old single stage 2 stroke with a two stage four stroke.

Which of these two would you get?

Toro 1128OXE
    Ariens 9526DLE

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Ariens, best by far. Way to "plan ahead".

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have and Airens 11528LE. It seems to be pretty good and far superior to the Gravely I had before. I gave the Gravely away, because I didn't think anyone would pay me anything for it. So much for that.

By the way, the two choice you mentioned aren't the same size, so it seems odd that you are comparing them. I believe the Toro is 28" wide with an 11HP engine; whereas, the Airens is only 26" with a 9.5HP. At least that's what the model numbers tell me. But maybe these are left-over summer sales and that's how you picked them.

It seemed to me when I was looking for a snowblower, most had Tecumseh engines, which I'm not particularly fond of. But it's a machine I have to have but don't use very much, so I had to settle for what I could get.

4. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Both are in the same price range is how I picked them.

My father has the Toro and loves it but my commercial Toro dealer sells Ariens and loves them plus i hear great comments about Ariens.

5. LarryF

If they are the same price, I'd pick the wider one with more HP if you get a lot of snow. Do they both have electric start. That seemed like a nice feature. Mine does have it, but I've started the engine using the pull cord with no problem. But as both the snow blower and I get older, the electric start might prove to be very handy, possibly indispensable.:)

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

My newer Ariens has a spotlight on the handlebars. Love that feature.

7. LarryF

Yeah, mine does too, I'll try to remember to turn it on next winter to see if it works.