snow blowers

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by turfguy, Feb 8, 2001.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A HONDA 11 HP 32 INCH BLOWER. THIS UNIT HAS TRACKS INSTEAD OF THE USUAL WHEELS...HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY BAD LUCK WITH THESE. THE DEALER SAYS THAT THEY ARE THE BEST THING GOING BUT I NEED SOME MORE INPUT BEFOR I PLUNK DOWN 2500 CLAMS. ANY THOUGHTS....ALL I HAVE RIGHT NOW IS A SHOVEL AND A CRABBY WIFE....

2. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I have a 10/32 Craftsman on tracks. It is heavy and slower than a wheel unit, but it goes through anything! I use mine for our own home and a few residentials that I do. It's great for climbing steps. I plan on getting a wheel blower for next season, but will keep the tracked blower. Certainly beats a shovel and a crabby wife!!

Paul

3. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I had a blower with tracks about 4 years ago I used it to do driveways. I think it was an MTD. The traction was great but the tracks kept working their way off. It may have been defective I'm not sure. I returned it after the first storm and got a blower with wheels. That's just my experience with one. Before you spend $2500 check out a yardman I just bought one 13 HP 33" with power steering for $1700.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I've used both, wheels and tracks. The wheel models turn much easier. The wheel models are lighter too. The wheel models are faster. The track models do go up and down stairs easier. The track models are more expensive. Hondas are more expensive too. They are dependable motors though.
    Toro also makes some nice larger units, like the 33" you are considering. The John Deere 10 HP & up even has optional heated hand grips!

~Chuck

5. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i have a 9 hp mtd 33" wide by 28" tall and it is plenty big and will go threw slush ice any thing with out a proble it gets plenty of traction and the heated handle grips are a good option and i love the power steering(wouldn't get another with out it)

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

My first question is why you want to buy one that is so big? Do you plan on lifting it into the back of a truck much? That is a heavy machine. We looked at buying a similar one but chose a 8 hp 24" Snapper for the size. After snow plowing for many hours the last things you and your guys want to do is lift a huge snow blower into a truck.

7. don't lift it by hand, use a good set ramp/tailgate, this is not a big expense to save your backbone.

Denis

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 3 Toro 521's they are compact and move snow pretty good. They run aroun $300 to $500 used and are worth it.

9. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

The above posts are spot on. I'll never again get anything with an engine from Sears. Used to have 2 smaller Snapper snowblowers which were also crap. Used to like my Toro CCR-2000s, but I love my Honda 521 & 621.
    The biggest SB I've ever needed is 8HP.

Having to read posts which are ALL CAPS is annoying.

[Edited by Samurai WeedWacker on 02-12-2001 at 10:47 AM]

10. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

They were selling that Honda model at the local Home Depot (and a few commercial supply houses). Word was that it was good but VERY SLOW!!!! The complaints from contractors was that it was WAY TO SLOW (time is money). One feature I noticed was that it had a lock on the drive system so that, even if the unit was in neutral, it wouldn't move unless the engine was started. Translation:Good luck loading it if it breaks down - runs out of gas etc.... Someone (Dealer) later told me that this was a feature that was able to be disabled. It's the Ghetto-Anti-theft feature - to keep people from stealing it if the homeowner runs in the house to warm-up, answer phone, go to the john, etc...

Unfortunately - a feature that is much needed here in the Detroit area!