Snow Deflectors

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by DJSnow, Jan 3, 2001.

1. DJSnow

DJSnow LawnSite Member

As a relatively new member of the snowplowing business, I would like to know opinions about the use of snow deflectors. I just bought an eight foot Boss straight blade and the deflector is an option. Is it necessary?

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

They are really worth it in my opinion, but it may not be necessary on some types of jobs. If you do all residential, then you probably wouldn't appreciate one as much as someone who does half mile long runs on private roads.

If money isn't a huge factor then have it put on when new. Lots of guys make their own after the fact, and that will get you out of the deal a little cheaper.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have one on my plow right now, but I'm seriously thinking of getting one. They help keep the snow off of your windshield when plowing long runs or hitting piles. Like PINEISLAND1 said, if you do mostly residential accounts, then you can probably get by without one.

-Tim

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think they help,especially on long,high speed passes,if you dont have one,the snow blows right on the windsheild,and packes up under your wipers,then turns to ice if you dont get out right away and clean it off.

5. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

We have deflectors and all of our blades; striaght and v. I highly recommend them for the reasons that they keep snow/ice from blowing on your windshield and also because they help push the snow forward, rather than over the plow or as much off to the sides. If you have alot of plowing to do, volume and efficiency is everyting. One note: don't buy a deflector from the dealer, because they're overpriced (i.e. $200 for a Boss deflector). Just go to your local rubber belting manufacturer or distributor and purchase the footage you need out of their remanents. We use a 3/8" thick ply about 8" to 12" wide depending upon the size of the plow. Good luck.

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

12" of rubber on every plow.

Geoff

7. We went to steel workshop and asked them a to curved it and ply a 90 degre flat to bolt on plow. plow raise 12".

Cost above 75 plus paint and bolt. Use with the 24" wing on 8' Fisher. Great pushing

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered some conveyor belt from QBM in Fort Erie. They'll ship it to Hamilton for free. They're cutting four 10"x12"x1" pieces for our plow wings on the Meyers, and three long strips for snowfoils on the Meyers and the two Snoways. 8'x8"x1" for the Meyers and two 7 1/2'x8"x1" for the Snoways. $5.00x4 for the wing pieces, $20.00 for the 8', and $15.00x2 for the 7 1/2's. Our local Meyers shop will cut some iron and bolt them on the blades for us. It'd be nice to have 'em for tonight, but we should have 'em on early next week.

9. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone prefer thos stiff plastic deflectors, like the sell at Mill Supply for about $80.00?

Did anyone ever have one of these that broke when the plow tripped?

10. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Now that you mention it... the deflector that SnoWay makes for my plow is riged plastic. Yeah, I would kind of think that could get broken pretty easily if the blade went into a full trip.

-Tim