Snow Fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Dec 3, 2003.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Ok here's a new one for me, a snow fence install. I have a good customer that would like a fence put up along her driveway. I have not measured it yet but I bet it's close to 300'. She has two old rolls of fence and I'll have to get the rest. Now here is what I need to know. Where is the best place to buy the sections? Approx how many feet in a roll? Cost? How far apart do you put the post? How much should I charge and how much work is all this?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Snow fence? Are you talking chain link? Not sure exactly what kind of fence you are talking about. Fencing usually comes in 8' sections. :confused:

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No Paul, I think he's talking about the wooden slat type (held together by wire) that comes rolled up in like 50 or 100 foot sections...think they are like 4 feet high too.

Try a place that sells ag products for farm animals. They might be able to help you.

4. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Oh sorry I wasn't clear. Its what I call snow fence, it is 4ft high red wooden slates wired together.

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Besides the wooden kind there is also snow fence made totally out of plastic.Only bad thing is that the only color i've seen that type in is a bright orange.

Check with Home Depot or other places like that, they might carry it or can get it in a couple of days.

Dan

6. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Springman26, Try this.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/list.asp?UID=2003120317114318&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN9=0&SKW=1H2FEN
    Once there, type in snow fence in the sites search engine.

Here is another.
    http://www.lennoxsnowfence.com/

Craig
    :) :)

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

We have a chain here similar to home depot that has the plastic stuff in orange and green.

Look around and see if you can find some.

I use 6 foot tall metal "T" posts, (The ones used to stake new trees) to secure the fence every 8 feet or so.

We charge $70/hour for a 2 man crew for all winterization from cutting back plants to wrapping shrubs and installing fencing.

Hope that helps.

Adam

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ah Ha. I always knew of it as sand, or barrier fence.

They come in 4' X 50' rolls. should run anywhere from $30 - $38. per roll depending on quantity ordered. As far as the posts. they come in 12, 13, or 14 gauge, ranging from $2.50 - $8 a piece.

Hope that was helpful.:cool:

P.S Try Bissett equipment in Holtsville, or Vigliotti's in Yaphank.

9. Springman, I'm not sure where you are. Mattituck? Sounds like downstate or LI, not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyways upstate we have TSC, used to be Central Tractor, and I've always bought my snow fence there.

Snow fence installation. Never thought of selling that.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why not shoot her a price on the high side and do the plowing, heck after she buys fence and pays to have it put up she should be able to get 1-2 yr. ploweing done and not have to look at that ugly azz fence all winter.

Mac