Snow here, how bout u?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Mar 28, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

O this is wonderful, still about 2 inches of snowcover on the ground here in Massachusetts. Last year I started the season on March 15. This year my best guess is April 1? How is everyone else doing?

2. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Its been cold here, but temps and amount of sunlight are rising everyday, looks like I will start next week on commercial and a few residential. (Southern Indiana)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We just got a fresh light blanket here the other night too. It has since melted, but the roads are all covered with salt again. We're expecting (hoping for) temps up into the 50's later this week and a few days of showers and rain.

4. Just nice sunny skies. Night time temps have taken a dive below freezing the last couple of nights but daytime temps are in the upper 40's and 50's, expect 60's by the weekend. Supposed to start raining tonight and for the next couple of days. Just hope we get rain this summer. Cutting grass every chance I get.

5. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

It is raining all over the world around here (north Texas) and has been for the past month off and on making maintenance tough and everybody wanting to know where we are. We just tell them “Yes ma’am we are just putting the pontoons on the mowers and well be there in a hour” as far snow think we had some back in January a real monster of a storm a whopping half inch of slush and one or two snow flakes.

Mo,mo,mo,yo self quickly to de bank!

6. ETturfman

ETturfman LawnSite Member

Hey Freetime! We're about a hundred miles to your East and we got a whopping 4" of the white stuff back on Dec. 31st. First time it's snowed here in 13 years. I don't see how you guys up north deal with it. You can't do anything until it thaws out! Our problem now is rain. We've had about 20" so far this year - but wait till July and August and we'll be praying for it.

The weather can be hectic with schedules, but in a way it keeps us from getting bored, like factory work I guess. If we get rained out then then hey, we get an unexpected day off! Then we have to play catch-up, which can be challenging, to say the least.

Sure thing about the green industry, you never get bored!

7. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

It got up to almost 60 degrees today, not a cloud in the sky. The nights been getting kinda chilly though. I started on a few accounts this year, can't wait till I can go "full Swing"

8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I must say that the only green grass I've seen is in my dreams. We still have a good 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and its not warming up like it should. Stays in the 30's each day. I am projecting my first cut of the year to be around April 20th or so. Just to give you guys an idea of how late this spring is here, last year at this same time I was out in my boat fishing. Yesterday I drove my truck out onto 2.5ft of ice to the middle of that same lake to fish in an ice house. We are a good month behind! YUK!

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Started working this week. Monday it was pretty cold, but today it is in the 50's and sunny.
    Doing clean-ups and such, can't wait to get to the cutting.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I been pretty busy the past few weeks. Took off early today because alot of the yards have warm season grasses and the not doing fo hot yet. Mostly weeds on those type of yards growing. Cold nites and warm days is what we have. The rest of the week is suppose to warm up and rain and i am not complaining about rain