Snow Melter Machine

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by NEAL, Jan 7, 2001.

1. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

My father in law was telling me about these big hopper type units that the city of Chicago dumps snow into and it melts the snow and the water goes down into the drian system. Anyone use these things? I never saw one.

Neal

2. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

These units are mostly used by municipalities and airports. They're big bucks to purchase or lease. John Allin referred to one in a previous thread a while back.

3. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

i went on a tour of logan airports snow and ice control operation a few years ago and they have some of these. a couple were mobile and a couple permanant. i wish i wrote down the amount of fuel they burn it was obscene, near 100 gph.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I could use one of those right about now... I have an ENORMOUS snow pile in my front yard, I can't even see out my front window!

-Tim

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Philadelphia just got a few of them. They've been bragging about them on the news. However they haven't said how well they work.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Someone mentioned that their granddaddy told them about melting snow curbside years ago. Some type of flame thrower mounted under the dump body, aimed at the gutter. The truck would just roll along real slow melting as it went.

On that fuel consumption note, the 2 boilers where I work burn 24,000 gallons per day. The tanker trucks just keep coming and coming and coming.....

~Chuck

7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

New York city used on a week back in times square to clean up the snow before New Years, neat to watch, worked well.
    what it is is a vat of boiling water. snow goes in and becomes part of the water. water is slowly let out so that it doesnt overflow but it doesnt completely empty

8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy who used to plow at Newark airport and he siad that they had a huge pit that they would dump snow into to melt it all. Same thing you guys are talking about exept I think this is a permenant boiler pit.

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

That was me a while bag that told about the machine that blows flames into the windrow by the gutter. If anyone finds pics of any of this stuff, let me know! Thanks!

10. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen them up close and in operation. They are slick. However, they are also $250,000+ to buy. No cheap date.