1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snow melting sprinkler system!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scaper28, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Scaper28

Scaper28 LawnSite Member

You guys heard of this? A guy near me designed a sprinkler system that is a good idea if it works. It waters, fertilizes/pesticides and de-rusts select areas in the summer. In the winter, all areas are turned off except by the driveway. I'm not sure what chemical is pumped through, but it melts ice and snow! This is not my company but here's the site. www.sunsnowsprinkler.com. I wish it was my company. I think this guy is going to do well for himself. Hopefully he does so he can improve his website.
  2. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess that is an interesting concept. It would be good if someone with a grasp of the English language would do his marketing for him. That website probably does more to scare away potential customers...
  3. Scaper28

Scaper28 LawnSite Member

I spoke with him today. He sent me the link to his old website. I'll post the new one when I find it.
  4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the fertilizing and pest. we have that here for some time in Tampa.
    I can buy all the parts at the local irrigation store.
  5. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

One, winds, etc... will prevent you from getting accurate coverage. Anyone who does wide scale watering knows this all too well. Between animals scratching on sprinkler heads at night to weather changes your coverage is never the equal everywhere.

Two, you can't apply when there are people around, what happens if it starts snowing during the day?

Also, what about the poor cars left over night. They are going to get one years worth of salt corrosion in 10 minutes.
  6. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I think the concept is a good idea, but I have to agree that there are many cons as well. What does it do to the grass where there is run off? Kiss that goodbye in the Spring.
  7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

8. Scaper28

Scaper28 LawnSite Member

It's an organic liquid! No salt. It doesn't hurt the grass at all! I don't know about cars though. I imagine if it doesn't hurt the grass, it wont hurt vehicles. I suppose that is why the guy has 11 patents on the system. I don't know. I'm no chemist.
  9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen heated driveways with the piping in the concrete. works really well.
  10. Scaper28

Scaper28 LawnSite Member

Those are VERY expensive. If there is a problem, you have to tear out sections of your driveway. This is pumped through the irrigation system and sprayed out of the system.