snow mold

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmartin, Feb 3, 2006.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

Have a customer calling and asking about the moldy patches in his lawn. Here in the North East, not much snow, lotta rain and warm temps are creating a pink snow mold issue. Does anyone treat for this now, or wait till the spring.
  2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

What is he on the lesco email list....I just got an email today about snowmold potential. I usually just rake it out in the spring and get some airflow to the root zone. but I have never had a really bad case maybe someone that has had some problems would help more.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking that snow/pink snow mold had to be sprayed prior to; ie. preventive?
  4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure that there are treatments for that.. perhaps a fungicide. Might check with your sales rep. :)
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You can apply fungicides this time of year (as long as the turf isn't frozen). Fungicide application will prevent further spread of the turf. On home lawns you can usually just rake it out in early spring. If customer wants to pay for fungicide app go for it.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There are a bunch of fungicides labeled for snow mold. PCNB, lesco 18 plus, bayleton, lesco's Revere, and several others. All work well. They tend to be expensive, though. Rake it up in the spring and the turf generally comes back. The only time I had a serious problem with it was on lawns that had been seeded the previous fall. If the customer wants to pay for it, give them what they want!!
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Treat when you see it if it is active...Pink Snow mold is active without snow cover. I just treated my green last week (again) when the snow cover melted off. There were two active spots of snow mold. Clearys 333 is labeled for snow mold.