snow mold

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbrons99, Apr 12, 2001.

1. mbrons99

mbrons99 LawnSite Member

Anyone ever heard of snow mold? I've had a few different people tell me I have snow mold on my yard. It's just real brown, even after a treatment of fertilizer to help green up my yard. Any advice as to how to get rid of it or treat it to get rid of the brown in my yard will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

At this point ,if you have fresh spurts of yellow grass coming thru-leave it alone.You more than likely do have snowmold.The best defense is PCNB or similar in the late fall,right before 1 st snowfall.If its just your yard-aerate,and reseed in a few weeks.Snowmold is a pathogen and it will come back when the conditions-and stress are right.I honestly never treat for it postemergent-I only care when its on my bentgrass-which isnt often.On bentgrass-it isnt a good idea to put down any more PCNB this late-not good for root system.I dont know if that is the same with whatever's on your lawn too-or if its OK to treat it at this point.
  3. i would say with snow mold just rake it up a bit. with a spring tine rake. there are chemicals that you can put down to get rid of it. however like john said once you get nicer conditions it goes away. it tends to occur in wet and cold weather where the lawns are always wet and cold. so all this snow we are gettin a lot of it.
  4. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I am surprised there is not more discussion on this subject, It appears that every other lawn in the western new york area has been afflicted with snow mold this year. i guess that would hold true with more parts of the northeast. It seems to affect bentgrass the most when it is a problem grass within bluegrass & ryegrass. Is there a way of getting rid of bentgrass in lawns without disturbing the other grasses... I can't stand when people see the bentgrass go dormant in late summer and get clumpy because your cutting that grass at the proper height for the dominant species of grass in the lawn. They say that it is the Big Mowers that are doing it. It is because bentgrass has a viny nature and never gets up to the height of the other grasses..Any comments?