1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

snow mold

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rtom45, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

We have 1 small golf green that the school uses for classes. Each fall and into the winter, we treat this with PCNB or Lescoe's equivelant Revere. The purpose is to prevent snow mold which is a problem in our area (Erie, PA.). Are any of the golf course guys using other products for the same purpose, and what kind of success are you having?
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if you have to ability to do liquid apps. or not, but a combo. of Daconil and PCNB has worked well for me in past years. I did use granular Revere this year due to ease of application. You are somewhat limited in the granular formulations, but liquid you can use a number of products including Heritage, Chipco, and Dac. and I think the coverage is better vs. granular. There are some root pruning issues with PCNB, but the good outweighs the bad IMHO. You'll want to watch it over the winter, too, as retreatment may be needed, esp. the way this winter is going with no snowcover, rain, no frozen ground and it'll be worse if we get snow on the unfrozen ground.
  3. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing better than PCNB at least from a performance vs. cost standpoint. Most golf courses will use a combination of at least 2, often 3 different fungicides as part of a snow mold program. A couple of popular combos would be

6 oz/M PCNB
    3.2 oz/M chlorothalonil
    4 oz/M iprodione

or the 2-4-6

2 oz/M propiconazole
    4 oz/M iprodione
    5.5 oz/M chlorothalonil

Plenty of others out there, fludoxinil, azoxystrobin, pyclyrostrobin... but those are getting into big $$$. If I were only going to use 1 product it would be PCNB. Probably not for very long though, as EPA registration is about to expire and is unlikely to be renewed. EPA has already issued a preliminary decision NOT to re-register and is now taking comments from users and distributors. However, I have read/heard that once the prelimiary decision comes down, they NEVER reverse their position. Golf courses that use PCNB will survive without, but at a much higher cost.
  4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

we used pcnbw/ daconil for a while with good results.. all depends on timing and conditions. I can't remember what my other boss used but he sprays everything every week with little to no rotation.
  5. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Revere works ok, although it's nasty to spread (gotta use a dust mask or you wind up tasting it all day...). Best bet, of course, is to do whatever you can to prevent snow mold by managing the culture (thatch, soil profile, etc). Also, too often people forget that pink snow mold can occur even without snow cover (read the label on Revere and you can see for yourself).