Snow Mold

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by earthandturf, Mar 18, 2008.

1. earthandturf

earthandturf LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, we've had a cold and snowy winter NW of Chicago, and now that the snow has finally melted I'm seeing that large sections of many lawns are going to be covered with snow mold. In the past I've raked out small patches of snow mold, but this year the problem is so widespread that I'm wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this before on such a large scale. What is the best way to go about treating this in an efficeint manner? Your help is greatly appreciated.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a lawn situation (KBG, perennial rye, fine fescue) with grass maintained at 2"+ raking like you have done in the past is still probably the most economical option. It's kind of rare that turf at that maintenance level would be killed by snow mold. Golf turf at 1/2" or less is a different story. Most of the fungicides labeled for snow mold control can not legally be used on home lawns. Clearys 3336 might be an exception.
  3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Fusarium Patch, Grey Snow Mold, Pink Snow Mold. If turf has been covered by snow for more than 45 days there's a good possibility you'll end up with snow mold IF the conditions are right. High nitrogen levels are one of the conditions. A thatch layer is another condition. Another is spring warm up. What happens is a micro climate is formed between the snow layer and the turf layer. Temperatures are between 32-36 degrees F in this micro climate. Perfect for growth. With taller turf damage is reduced because there's more turf exposed. Turf mowed under 1/2" is at high risk if conditions are right and no fungicide has been applied. Air circulation and sunlight are the most effective ways to control the spread. May look ugly for awhile but the turf will come back. Back in the early 80's I saw several golf courses in Colorado destroyed by snow mold.