Snow plow on a ztr???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DoetschOutdoor, Oct 10, 2007.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I was wondering if anyone has put a plow on their ztr? I saw the picture in the exmark brochure of a plow but just didnt know how well this would work for strictly residentials. Does a mid size ztr have enough power to push driveways?

2. ballstar

ballstar Banned

I don't see why not.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

why ruin your mower..... use a hammer for nails , a saw to cut wood, a mower to cut grass and a plow truck to plow snow........

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Im talking simply for residential driveways and the like. Nothing where I would really need a truck and also we get very little snow around here as of the last few years. Probably going to just buy a snow blower or rent.

5. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see the benfit, if anything it would be more of a hassle, not four wheel drive = alot of slipping and sliding. Now an ATV with a plow is the way to go.

:nono:

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you dont get more then six inches a storm then it might work well.If your snow that you plowed the storm before freezes, you could be in trouble pushing the new stuff in its place.

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, the 2WD is your biggest problem. It will have the power. How many times does that mower pull you up a steep hill? The mower probly weighs close to 1000 pounds with you on it. Pulling your trailer in bad weather and unloading the Z will be a big headache.

8. RickO

RickO LawnSite Member

I've been reading a lot about this and have yet to hear one person that has tried and said it doesn't work well. Everyone that I have read said it works pretty well. People have been putting snow blades on lawn mowers that weigh 300 - 800 lbs. for years. All you need is traction and weight to push snow. Well a ZTR has all of it's weight right over it's rear drive tires. My ZTR weighs 900lbs. Put some chains or cable chains on there and I think it would push snow like a dream. Think about it... a lot of lawn dractors don't have locking differential in the rear ends, you know how you will often get stuck on them because only one wheel is spinning. You won't get that with a ZTR Both wheels spin.

And for those who don't think a ZTR is made to handle the "abuse", are you kidding me...what kind of ZTR do you have. My ZTR is a tank. In fact, Hustler makes a front blade for their home owner ZTR. I don't think they would be doing that if it would tear it up. I see a lot of ZTR Mfrs. making blades for their models now.

I am getting one for my Huster Mini Z as soon as I find the right price/quality blade.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Let us know how it works. How much snow do you think you can push with your mower??

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i think if you were in a situation were you had to continually move the snow and keep things open. Like on a campus or mall sidewalks, ect...it would be great for that type of an application rather than just keep doing by hand or burning chemicals. but it it got deep I don't think it would work that well. all of you weight is over your drive tires, and you have this plow blade way out front acting like lever and you push start building up a pile with the blade angled its going to want to pivot around the rear tires I would think...

Id love to see one in action before i dropped any money. plus I'm not sure I'm ready to put my mechanic through removing the deck and reinstalling each year....