Snow Plow Welding Fact Not Advertisement

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Bryan, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Bryan

Bryan LawnSite Member

I have looked back through the many pages on this site and there are a lot of complaints on welding. It seems to be not only one brand of snow plow. I work for Sno-Way and if you have a plow that is 1year old or less and you experience welding problems, WE NEED TO KNOW, if your dealer is not helping you out with this, call us directly at 1-800-662-1453. The worse thing that can happen to any product in general is failure. We at Sno-Way have set high standards, this is not an advertisement ONLY FACT. We are currently ISO9002 certified. This means anything put together in our facility goes through a series of quality checks. If you the end user are experiencing a welding problem, 97% of our plow is robotic welded, this is why we need to know as soon as you have these problems. Often because of lack of communication, we don't hear about any problems until the dealer says something. Many of you out there know more about metal than we salesmen will ever know, but all same, inorder to provide a quality product that will last is important to me as a salesman and we need to know. All manufacturers need to know as many are going the route of the robot. Sno-Way for instance has invested millions to acquire two Mitsubishi Lasers, two of largest in world, it for this reason, we as a manufacturer need to know when we have customers who have problems. Again, I do not intend on this being an advertisement only trying to convey why it is important for you the customer to let us know how your equipment is holding up. This goes for any brand of plow.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You're at the right place (other than the SIMA web site members forum). Guys here have no problems speaking out about "problems" that arise. Glad to know you're looking for feedback, good and bad.

Keep it up.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been on this forum for a while now, and have become a part of SIMA, and I have NEVER seen a post from a company in this nature. Congrats!

I have a SnoWay plow. No weld problems yet, but I do have a problem with the pump. When I hit the switch to raise the plow, once I let off, the plow keeps going up. It does this when I use the angle switches too. It's less than a year old. I had the solenoid replaced a few months ago. Any ideas?

Sorry, I know you didn't intend this thread to be a complaint form, but I figured I'd ask since you guys care enough to at least be here in the first place.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with SnoWay... I'll definately consider another one when the time comes.

-Tim

4. Bryan

Bryan LawnSite Member

Tim, thanks for the question. In both instances if the plow continues to move after letting off the buttons, have someone stand outside by the powerpack and make sure the motor is not continuing to run. If it is not continuing to run, it is a valve that is not closing fast enough and still allows fluid to run through the valve block. My suggestion would be to take it to your dealer where you bought the plow and explain what is going on. If you get no help call us at the factory at 1-800-662-1453. Since your plow is less than one year old, everything with the power unit is covered under warranty including labor to replace any valve or solenoid. You need the dealers help to get warranty. Try the dealer route first, tell them that you feel the a valve is not closing fast enough and to check coil connections and perhaps try a new valve to see if this corrects the problem. Since we do not manufacture the valve or the coil, it is not impossible to get one that does not fully function, especially after use. If the dealer has questions, have them call Kevin Witt our technical assistance at Sno-Way.

5. Alan

Alan Member

Tim,

When you say the plow continues to go up do you mean all the way up or just an inch or two? If it's only an inch or so that is the nature of the beast. Anytime the pump is turning and no control solenoids are open (downpressure or angle) the plow will rise. What happens is that when you release a control function the valve closes instantly while the pump motor coasts to a stop. Any oil that gets pumpes while the motor is coasting will go into the up function and lift the plow slightly.

6. Bryan

Bryan LawnSite Member

Alan, yes you are correct, it is normal for the Sno-Way plow to jump up slightly when angling, but I have not heard of the plow continuing upward when lifting. Perhaps I misunderstood Tim's question. I do know that some dealers have been able to eliminate this inconvenience through adjustments.

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Really nice to see someone cares.

Cudos to Sno-Way

8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

No, it's not that a valve isn't closing fast enough. The pump will continue to run... it's almost like I'm still holding the button down. It sounds like either the solenoid is sticking, or possibly the switch went south.

I have to admit, I'm very happy with you guys at SnoWay. I had to take my truck in to have the plow lights looked at, and ended up sitting there for about 6-hours. They never found anything wrong, and sent me packing. I emailed SnoWay about this problem, and the next day I got a call from the owner of the place that installed my plow, and he apologised over and over again and said to bring my truck back in and he will personally see to it that it gets fixed.

Maybe SnoWays are not considered the best plows on the planet, but I'm very happy with mine, and they REALLY stand behind their product. I'm glad I bought one.

-Tim

9. Alan

Alan Member

This Kevin Witt fellow, is he the same Kevin who was the tech service rep out there a couple years or more ago?

10. Bryan

Bryan LawnSite Member

Yes, Kevin has been with Sno-Way for several years now.
    Kevin Witt has came a long way with Sno-Way and his learning curve. Over the past two years he has been involved with Research & Development as well as taking over warranties. He still also does technical service. He wears many hats at our company, he can be moody at times, but that is ususally because he is waiting on answers himself.