snow plow?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by drpepperinacan, Jan 1, 2010.

1. drpepperinacan

drpepperinacan LawnSite Member

I have a 1986 f150 that is 4x4. I have someone that is going to sell me 6 and a1/2 ft plow to put on it. do any of you all think that this truck will be able to push it and will it be to hard on the powertrain of the truck?

2. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

it will be just fine. and yes the tranny takes the hardest hit when plowing. forward and back over and over all day is very hard on a tranny. just make sure you stop completely before backing up

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

6-1/2' ain't very wide for a full sized truck. You may find your rear wheels riding in unplowed snow, on the curves. Just my $.02.:waving:

4. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

My son plows with a 95 Ranger 3.0 6cyl that he bought from a friend,has 6.6 western on it.First year needed trans and differential thanks to the beating his "friend" gave it.Now it works fine,just fill up tank and load up back with bags of salt and it plows great.He uses it on driveways and small parking lots;leave the big lots to the big plows.Keep a spare hydraulic line,channel locks, fluid and funnel with you cause it's a pain to lift that plow and chain it up to get back to the shop when you bust a line(and you will)

5. drpepperinacan

thanks I didn't think the shifting between forwards and reverse would cause the most damage , i thought maybe the work of pushing the plow itself would hurt but your probably right . thanks for the perspective!

6. drpepperinacan

I didn't really consider that possibility but I was afraid a bigger plow might be to big for and f150.

7. drpepperinacan

I would have never thought to bring the extra hose! thanks! athough I have been in the snow removal buisness for a while now I have never used a plow! thanks for all your help , I will be very well prepared the the next snow!

8. drpepperinacan

I was wondering If I should invest in some chains for the truck. would they help out alot when plowing or would they just make the ride really bumpy? do the inconvienances outweigh the how much the chains will help me?

9. ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976 LawnSite Member

Chains will just slow you down on the way to your next driveway/lot. To much trouble for the little gain in traction....unless a 2 wheel drive truck is your only option.

10. Nick Hawkins

Nick Hawkins LawnSite Member

I have to defrost a pile Of Dirt but my turbo heater is broken can i Throw salt on the pile to loosen it??????