Snow Plowing Articles

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Chuck Smith, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

This month's issue of The LANDSCULPTOR has some great info. There is an article written by John Allin, and one I wrote. There is another that explains liscensing of snow plowing contractors in the Detroit area. Yes, imagine that, a liscense to plow snow! There is an article on tires that is very informative too. Plus other great articles and monthly columns.

http://www.landscape.org/LandsculptorMagazine.html

If you are in Michigan, you might consider joining this organization.

The Landsculptor magazine is a monthly publication published by the Metropolitan Detroit Landscape Association. It has been recognized by industry leaders as the green industry's premier magazine in the state of Michigan.

Unlike some magazines, that only put certain articles online each month, the Landsculptor puts the whole magazine online each month.

~Chuck

2. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good article by John regaring snow removal. I printed off a few copies and am going to send them to a few clients. Think they need to read the section on hourly rates.

3. Chuck Smith

The Landsculptor also accepts submissions for new articles. If anyone here has a topic they can cover, mail it to the Landsculptor, you never know, they just might publish it!

Yes, I like the part in John's article about sending "15 guys with shovels" to do the work.

As far as the liscensing & permits goes, does anyone here need a liscense in their area to plow snow? I heard about this last year too, but only in the Detroit area.

I wonder what the criteria is for needing one. I know here in NJ, Landscape Archeticts are liscensed, but many get around that, by calling themselves "Landscape Designers".

Hmmm maybe we could be "Winter Landscape Designers"???

"Yes your property looks good, but with a pile of snow over there, and some nice brown Magic salt over here, it could look so much better Sir"

~Chuck

4. iowastorm

from Iowa

Ah, just Uncle Sam's way of getting more money out of our pockets. However, the licensing thing doesn't sound too bad, if done right, it might get some of the scabs out of the business.

Would Landscuptor take a submission regarding more efficient ways to operator your truck and plow controls while holding a can of beer in your hand? Also plowing w/ the dual method; plowing while drunk and seeing double allows you to plow twice the amount of snow, or does it?

Digger, you can come out of your room now.

5. Chuck Smith

As long as you figured out a way to bill twice, and get paid twice, it sounds good to me! Sounds like you need one of those hats with the 2 beer can holders on them, and flexible straws. I think they call it a "hands free kit"...

~Chuck

6. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

The nice thing is that plowing drunk really opens up oppurtunities to charge for landscaping and sod repair in the spring.Might even get some mark up on electrical and plumbing work, with the repair of accent lighting and fire hydrants.

Also with proper alcohol levels it allows for the operation of unheated equipment,even in the coldest weather.

Sadly often it is hard to tell the diffrence between the cognative and quantitative skills of a drunk plow guy and some sober ones I have seen.

7. iowastorm

from Iowa

Chuck, I think Digger's being bad again!

8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Chuck,Storms picking on me again,I think he should be punished by dipping him in CMAK then setting him outside to see how long it takes for him to freeze.

9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I go away for a week, and everybody starts ripping everybody else's face off......

Can't you guys ever play nice while I'm gone ??