1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plowing

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Emerald, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Emerald

Emerald LawnSite Member

Looking for a used V plow to fit my F450<br>And need some advice on a good way to spred salt & sand. <br>And also any advice on how to charge I'm now charging by the hour and my rate is $50.00 per hr per truck any help would be appreciate<br>Thanks <p><font size="1">Edited by: Emerald
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Hop on the bus Emeerald we are taking you to school.<br>First off drop that per hour $hit. You will make no money at all. At that rate you will make $ 500 in 10 hrs plowing. Most of us here make that in 1-2 hrs. In fact if you are in Southern Ct I will pay you that to sub for me. All my bids are rated to make at least 150-175 per hr per truck. Plus deicing services and sidewalks.<br>There is a number of ways to price snow removal, give me a call sometime and I will be glad to go over them with you.<br>860-859-0739<br>Look in the paper, want advertisers or the like, now is a good time to get a sweet deal on a plow. Being that you have a 450, I would look for a boss, they are stout enough to be in front of that truck. I think a 9'2&quot; will be the best size for you.<br>as far a spreaders are concerned, you really need a v box type. Being that you only have 2wd, you will need alot of ballast, and a full v box will give you that. I like the smith industries stainless over electric model. But I also own gas powered models, and they all work good.<br>Again if you have any? please call.<br>Oh yes, please check into www.sima.org<br>If you are serious about plowing, you need to join.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If that F450 is a 2wd-he's going to be stuck all the time when the spreader is low or empty.I have a friend that plows with a C3500HD GMC,it is 15k gvwr-2wd,in big lots and roads it is great,but in backing situations when the spreader gets low,you might as well park it-my S10 will out push it then.<p>----------<br>John D<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: John DiMartino
  4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well seeing that they didnt make a 450 4wd till 99 I would say the chances are good its 2wd. I was thinking the same thing John, but I didnt want to hurt his feelings.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

It is 2wd, i used to have a 93 F 450, sold as an F Super Duty. In 97 ya could custom order one ( f super duty) in 4wd. 96 and older are all 2 wd from ford, unless a someone converted it.<p>Geoff