Snow Plowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BigMulch, Sep 25, 2011.

1. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

I am thinking of starting a snow plowing business and i have a Chevy Colorado and a snow blower but i just don't know how to start and i don't even know if the truck will be good for plowing. Also what would be the best way to advertise for snow plowing and do i need some special insurance.

2. we are not allowed to answer, we will get in trouble.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

4. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

Why cant u answer my question is there something wrong

5. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

because in order to plow yards you need commercial insurance on your vehicle and commercial business insurance with plowing, plus if your state requires it you need a businss license. and you need contracts written up by a lawyer. and thats just the begining.

6. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

To answer your question, you can put a snow plow on your truck (as long as its 4x4). If your doing driveways snow blowers sometimes can be better than a truck but I have always found shoveling to be faster than a blower. Before you go invest $5000 in a plow make sure you have the customer base. Insurance can be provided through your car insurance/business insurance provider. You can search pretty much find any info you need on plowsite. Best of luck

7. masonenterprises

masonenterprises LawnSite Member

I would advise against it. A Chevy colorado will not withstand a harsh new england winter of plowing. If we have another winter like the last, your truck wont last. Do your self a favor, buy an F-350, then you can start to really think about it.

You will need extra GLI coverage for snow plowing in ct, as well.

8. MGV

MGV LawnSite Member

It all depends on the size driveways you intend to plow and how many accounts you have. I think a Colorado is to small, I plow with 2 F-350's and 1 F-550 all have v-plows. You have to let your insurance company know that you are plowing. Some companies won't allow you to plow. So make sure that you check, if you don't tell them and you have a accident they will not cover it. Also besides insurance on your truck you should have personnel liability insurance.

9. masonenterprises

masonenterprises LawnSite Member

I know its a little off topic, but how do you like the 6.4L F-350? I was contemplating one, but no one around me had anything nice to say about it. Just wondering if you have had good luck so far?

10. jsecape

jsecape LawnSite Member
    from ME

Hi all...How about a Ford F150 4door, good or a bad ???