Snow put Fall cleanups to a halt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Dec 3, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what you guys do when it snows and puts your fall cleanups to a halt? I have about 10 to 15 cleanups I have to do and we just got about 3 to 4 inches of snow. It looks like it is going to be cold for a while so I dont think the snow is going to melt anytime soon. Should I start winterizing my equipment? Or should I wait for the snow to melt hopefully and start my cleanups again? I didnt know if my equipment could get ruined if I leave it in my garage when it is getting down to 10 degrees at night. Just wanted your input . thanks

Lasher

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You just described my situation to a 't.' I still have about 15 to do...made the decision to"see you in the spring." First time in 20 years Im leaving work unfinished.

3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not throwing in the towel just yet here in NH. Still have 37 cleanups that were not done this fall due to the snow on, snow off weather. Going to winterize and store my walk behinds and 2 ZMasters, but will keep my other 2 Zmasters with trac vacs handy in case of a quick meltdown. We keep getting 1-2 inch storms that aren't enough to plow, but stop us from resuming cleanups. As soon as it starts to thaw, we go back out and do one or two only to have it snow the next day. My friend who also is an LCO, still has about the same left as well. He has switched over his sander to leaf box about 6 times in the last month. Clients keep calling asking for us to do them if a melt occurs, plus need the $12-$13k that is still out there in leaf money to help get us through winter.

Mike

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i was in the same situation. I finally made the call, and took the leaf box and loader off, and am starting to winterize. Spring cleanups arent going to be fun this year:D

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Up here in Maine we also have the problem, answer was to dodge snowbanks and clean what we could to show an apperance to our commercial properties. Also a letter will go out in the mail explaning how we will handle it in spring.

6. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

I'm in the same situation here in CT. I'm not giving up on the cleanups yet. I'm hoping things will thaw out long enough to finish up. I have about 10 more to go. I'm only able to do them on weekends so it makes it even tougher to get it done with the weather we've been having this fall. Thankfully I have my leaf box on a truck that I don't use for plowing.
    Good luck!

7. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like I will have a couple of customers that may not get their leaf cleanups done either. NJ is looking at what could be a whopper of a storm on Thursday all day loads of snow MAY happen.. Being I do my work on weekends, I doubt it'll all melt by Saturday, it'll be very very sloppy at best.. something that I'm not fully equipped to handle.. At least I did all my regular customers but I also hate to leave estimates on the table for business that may not get done..

Gary

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I did a cleanup last friday that still had a dusting of snow covering the ground , but only on the front yard.. So when I got to that area , I just blew the snow off with my RedMax EB7000 and then blew the leaves off, sent them a bill for a fall cleanup and snow removal >LOL

9. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with the snow, and still have about 40 cleanups to do. If the snow does not melt, and the leaves stay on the grass over winter, is their a chance of them killing or damaging the lawn?
    thanks
    adam

10. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I heard leaving leaves on the grass can hurt it also. I dont understand why it would because it would seem no different than snow covering the lawn all winter. Plus the ground it frozen so the grass is trying to grow. I think as long as the leaves get cleaned up first thing in the spring it should be ok.

Lasher