Snow Removal??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Boyzz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Boyzz

Boyzz LawnSite Member

Hi would like to know how many of you do snow removal after the lawn season is over. I'm looking into doing some of my lawn customers this winter with a snow blower. Any tips would be great. I do not have a blower yet so tips on that would be great. How many can you do in a hour. I'm looking at 4???

Thanks Don

2. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

i also do lanw matience, and in the off season i snow blow. I have a Yard machines 26" with a 8hp tecumsen snow king engine. i can knock out a good amount in a hour, It just depends how much snow there is. I got my snow blower at a great price last year. At the end of winter, home cheapo was trying to clear them out, i got it for $379 instead $700. It works great.:)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is a bad question to ask on here (a bit too broad or general). If everyone who did it on her answered, this thread would fill up SEVERAL pages. Ifyou want to see something cool,....check THIS site out. www.plowsite.com

4. PrecisionYardworks

PrecisionYardworks LawnSite Member

I started out a few years ago and offered my lawn customers snow blowing service. I bought a troybilt 10hp 30"width. One of my best purchases ever. I would definately reccomend a 28 or 30 inch showblower. This year we will be offer plowing and snow blowing service. I think you can do 3 or 4 drives in an hour with a good blower. Even more with a buddy and shovel.

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Since you need a mower for this business anyway, I suggest you get a Walker. They make a plow attachment that works great. Plenty of power and traction.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I was plowing last year just a few of my lawn customers and loved it. So, this year I got a truck with a plow and another snowblower. I have almost all the equipment I could ever want for just me...
    1995 ford 250 w/8'fisher
    48'' wb blower w/20hp
    Old ford garden tractor w/38'' blower
    2 old plow tractors
    three of every kind of shovel

I am going to buy a few yards of sand this week and some sort of sander soon. I also got all of my mowing customers for snow.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I CAN tell you about a walkbehind snowblower........though they may be little noisier, there are some driveways, especially those with tight areas or turnarounds, that a snowblower can clear faster than a truck with a plow. By the time the front of the garage is cleared, the truck is jumbled around to get all corners of the turnaround, the truck goes forward-back forward-back a couple of times to pull the snow back (sometimes more because the snow packs and glazes- takes different angles of blade to cut), goes out to the street/road to turn around, backs back up the drive and makes two passes pushing out to the road, then backs backup in the road to push the snow up on the curb, and makes two pushes to clear the drive approach and the curb, a snowblower can be unloaded (with an efficient system), and clear the drive about as fast. The difference will be, is that a. you will have a cleaner result - usually right down to the pavement. and b. you don't end up with piles piled around. You have nothing but clean edges.
    Now, I realize, there will probably be some chiming in here talking about "Not them" - with their rear backdrag blades and such, but I am talking about the vast majority of trucks.

8. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

i have that exact same blower and it is GREAT!!!! i have never had any snow it wouldnt handle. i too am doing snow blowing this winter and wont do it for less than $25. and thats the price for a very small 1 or 2 car driveway (only 1-1.5 car lengths long). don't sell yourself short. the number you can do in an hour will vary due to travel time and weather conditions

i agree check out plowsite.com

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Runner on the smaller driveways. I've got a single-stage Toro and it clears right down to bare pavement, has power to throw all but extremely heavy snow, and it's light enough I can throw it in the bed and unload it by hand. Much cleaner, neater result than back dragging with the plow, and much less risk of tearing up grass and damaging curbing.

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This will be my first year with a snow plow - if we get any snow to speak of.

Tim