snow removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SangerLawn, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I am sure most of you know this has been a crappy year. Here in Indiana we have been in a drought most of the summer. Mowing season is about over and I am thinking about snow on driveways.

I have put my money into advertising and mowing equipment. I have picked up nearly 40 weekly accounts and almost 30 on call customers. WellÂ… most of the weekly mows turned into bi-weeklies because of the drought. The way I see it I have nearly 70 customers that already know my work. I do not want to buy a snow blower until I know that I have some work for it.

I would like to send out a letter to my customers about snow removal. I was thinking about telling them that I do not have a snow blower but depending on response I would buy one. I would like to give them a price on the letter so they will know what to expect but I have no idea how to price it.

How do I price snow removal and is it a good idea to ask without owning one. Is there really enough money into it to justify buying one? I am already in dept from this summer. Buying a snow blower will have to go on the credit card.:cry:

2. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

check out plowsite.com .....but i wont touch a driveway for under $35 i do have one that is $75 i also have a plow

3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

That is quite the situation. You need more work and snow removal is coming. I'm not sure how much it snows where you are?

I wouldn't mention that you don't have a snow blower. It will be a negative as most people know it's not that much to buy.

Plowsite may be your best bet.

Good luck.

4. kmitt

kmitt LawnSite Member

Seasonal rates are the way to go. Try to figure out what the going rate is in your area. Get other companies to quote your (or a friend or relatives) driveway. With those numbers in mind you will know how many contracts you need to justify buying a machine. Bill your clients upfront and you won't have any cash problems. Good luck.

5. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

thanks for the help and ideas

6. 04superduty

04superduty LawnSite Member

make sure to word your contract correctly, snow removal implies you will be removing the snow and taking it with you. i am not trying to be a smart arse but i dont want you to get burned by a PO'ed customer. you need to word it snow plowing.

7. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you can always start with a shovel.

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You could put word out to a few local snow plow guys, too. I know I'd seriously consider having you clear a few apartment complex sidewalks I do, if you were in town. Some contracts just cant be bid without doing the sidewalks, and its getting so more and more I dont wanna get out of the truck to do it. I'm sure theres some guys in your town that feel the same way.

9. jackedf150

jackedf150 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey Im from Indy and I know last year we had alot of people that wanted us to do their sidewalks with a snowblower but we just dont have the time to do both. We have a few that only want a snowblower on their driveway because its custom stone and they dont want a heavy blade on it.The work is definetly out there. There are even a few companys i know of that hire u as a subcontractor and send you off with the list. Its pretty good pay!

10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a quad with a plow and a snow blower I plan on sending a letter to a few of my lawn customers to try and get some work this winter.