1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

snow removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SangerLawn, Oct 14, 2007.

1. illday

illday LawnSite Member

My first year in business I advertised snow plowing (planning on buying a plow if I received enough work), well I only got about 5 responses so I subbed (gave the work away). Come the first storm I received about 30 calls and had no plow.
    As far as a snow blower goes, I'm not sure how fast you would be able to do a driveway with one so I'm not sure how to price it.
  2. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I hear u Sanger! I'm in debt too. The drought sucked and I'm not sure if I should invest in a snow thrower either. U could always use a shovel in the mean time that is if u have a strong back. My back just went out so I'm 1/2 way hoping for a break even though I can't really afford one :cry:
  3. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I have no problem with hard work. I started this year with a 21 inch push mower, a broom, and a cheap 69 dollar blower. Before I new it I bought a 36 inch Scag, then went cheap and but bought a 50 inch Troy Built. I am not in anyway bragging, just saying the Lord has been really good to me to give me that much work my first year.

The one thing I noticed is when you have equipment it looks more professional and people tend to take you more seriously. This is the reason I was thinking about buying a snow blower. More then likely I will start with a shovel but was curios about the amount of work and how to price it.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you will have to price the work as if you had a plow, because your competition does......... just be careful, if you generate more customers then you can handle, your credibility will be shot.......

you have a nice truck.... save up for the next year and get a plow....

good luck....:usflag: