Snow thrower choice...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RyanJ, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RyanJ

RyanJ LawnSite Member

For the outdoor equipment type folks here, what would be your recommendation on a two stage snow thrower if I were to choose between an Ariens 926LE (sold at Home Depot) or a Husqvarna 1027SBE (sold at Lowes)? Both retail at $999.00. Financing is important to me. Home Depot offers 6 mos interest free. Lowes offers 12 mos. Both give 10% off on first purchases. The Ariens unit has a 26" clearing width, the Husqvarna a 30" width. Both apear to be pretty sturdy pieces of equipment. Ariens also has a 3 year warranty which is a plus.

If I bought an Ariens from a dealer, their financing program is 18 mos. interest free. However, the dealer I spoke with says that he only carries the professional grade DLE series in that high of HP. The next step down is a 7.5HP but it doesn't come with the upgrades of the high HP units.

I have also considered Craftsman and Toro but the financing is not there with Sears and the Toro two-stage seemed cheaper made in some aspects (more plastic) although their price wasn't. Simplicity sounds like they have some good units but the prices are mucho bucks.

My driveway is 150' or so with a slight slope and has a very large cement pad (36'x36') at the top and decent size sidewalk area. Last year, snowfall in northeast Ohio was at an all-time high (more than 95") and I obviously did not own a two-stage snow thrower. It was brutal at times, especially with all the rain/sleet that turned everying to sheet of ice.

My budget is around $1,000 give or take a $100 or so on either side. Again, financing is important.

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan, I know you are looking at two stage throwers. But do not over look the Toro single stage. For the size drive you have, it would work great. We run the 6 hp or maybe its 7 hp model. And we do others properties. Would not run any thing else. I believe we paid around $700 for it. And Toro threw a dealer always has financing. PR

3. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I own a 7 or 8 hp craftsman that I bought last year. It only snowed 2 or 3 times so I didn't get to use it much, but I didn''t really like it. The controls weren't very comfortable. If I were to do it again, I'd get the northstar 10hp from northertool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...play?storeId=6970&productId=1029529&R=1029529

Free shipping and 12 months interest free.

Given where you live, I'd opt for the higher hp.
    Mine has the electric start, but I never bothered using it. Started it easily doing it the old fashion way, why pay extra for a feature you may not want.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Believe it or not, the MTD snowthrower are built real well. The Ariens have ALWAYS been a good machine. Them and Simplicity.

5. niederhauser lawn care

niederhauser lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have them both, in my opinion I like the husqvarna better, but true dont over look the toro single stage.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The toro single stage throwers are pretty awesome. I used one a number of years ago and was amazed that it could plow thru snow as deep or deeper than the intake! I also like how much cleaner of a job the single stage, rubber paddled machines do. Better in sulsh as well. The 2 stage machines are better for hard packed stuff and are self propelled and can be way larger.

7. FC_Racer

FC_Racer LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Could you elaborate on why you like the Husqvarna better than the Ariens?

Thanks
    Dennis

8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 724 Ariens that is outstanding (7hp, 24" width). I bought it off e-Bay about 3 seasons ago from a guy in the south that never used it. Paid $500 shipped and it has performed flawlessly. I had planned on getting one from HD as well but couldn't pass up that deal considering they run about 8-900 new. My father has an old 5hp Ariens that is close to 25 years old and is still running strong. They make great machines and I'd highly recommend them. The Simplicity units are also very nice as are the Husky's. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices but speaking from experience the Ariens are great units.

As for that "Northstar" unit, I believe it's OEM'd by Murray which personally pI'd stay away from.

Don

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

PM me we might be able to set you up with a plowing contract for the winter and stretch out the payments for 6 mounths. No work for you just a nice clean drive :D You must be in the townships if your drive is 150' the city out of room :waving: