1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

I have checked local tire dealers for a good aggressive
    snow tire,not impressed. Can someone tell me a good tire for plowing.I am in Maine so I am dealing with all types of
    winter conditions.Thanks for any help. NorthEast
  2. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

try cooper discoverer stt...its about as aggressive as you can get. next step, tire chains.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

Cooper Weathermasters! They will out push the much praised and overpriced Hakkapellita (sp). I know that from experience, we're running Weathermasters on three trucks now, excellent traction, reasonable price and they last pretty good for an aggressive tire.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got BFGoodrich Mud Terrains on mine right now. So far, they've worked really well in the little amount of snow we've had. I guess they'll get the real test when there's 16-inches of it on the ground.

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

my vote is B F G allterrain TA's, you don't want a big agressive mud tread for awesome snow traction. you need a tire with alot of siping, one that actually compacts the snow and uses it for traction rather than a mud tire that flings it away.also generally a wide tire is not the way to go for snow traction you want a narrow tire that gives you the most contact pressure per square inch.
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Fot 16" Cooper Weathermasters as mentioned are probably your best bet. They bite hard and are real cheap. ($300 for 4 mounted, balanced, stems, tax, etc.)

For 15" or course Bridgestone Blizzak WS-15.
  7. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I run futura's from Pepboys, second set, I had coppers on another truck, they didn't hold up ( 12,000 mi), I just plowed first snow fall with the set on this truck, can't belive difference over stock tires that were on it Gerneral M&S, I have also found going to narrower tires(235/85/ R 16)makes a huge difference.
  8. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Anybody used Cooper ST or LT tires? I've been looking into those.

Weathermaster, huh?they just didn't seem beefy enough for snow, from the pictures on the cooper site. You guys running them are happy though eh?

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have Cooper Discover CTD for rear, more agressive tread. They work so well in fact that 4 wd is rarley needed. In front I have Cooper Discover A/T. They are less agressive but wear very well, especially on the front of a IFS gm truck.We run 235/85/16
  10. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

CTD looks like a pretty serious tire, how much do they cost ya (if you don't mind me asking)? ANd about how many miles are you getting on them?