Snowbear plow-OK for an exposed aggregate driveway?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by mikeb, Jan 24, 2000.

1. mikeb

mikeb LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a Snowbear plow for personal use on my driveway and the driveways of other family members in the neighborhood. These are relatively inexpensive and lightweight, and I would attach it to a GMC Suburban (1500 Series). I'm in Tennessee, so a &quot;big snow&quot; for us is 3 or 4 inches, but being on the north side of a hill the snow tends to stay for a while. With a concrete drive with exposed aggregate, which gives a rough-textured surface, should I consider any special options or blades? I also would like to be able to remove the blade in the summer and use the brackets and winch to lift and carry an inflator fan used with a hot air balloon system (the fan weighs about 80 pounds)--any ideas if that is possible? Thanks.<p>----------<br>mike<br>

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The snowbear will be fine for that surface. Only i would recomend you spending the extra money for a meyer 7' or something like that. Getting out of the truck to angle the blade will get old fast. You will find that you will need to angle the blade a lot more than you think. Plus if the snow gets wet, the snowbear won't like it at all. <p>Also the winch is attached to the blade not the mounting brackets. You could use the mounting brackets to hold your fan, but i bet snowbear doesn't recomend it.<p>With the surburan's weight and power, i could see the snowbear blade ending up under yout truck.<p>Geoff<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

A used plow wont cost much more than a snow bear plow, and then you could drive to all your neighbors houses plow them, and make some $$$. Also consider an urethane edge for the plow, it will not hurt the aggregate surface and will plow gravel with out any problems.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. snowblade

snowblade LawnSite Member

I'd consider looking at a sno-way plow. I've seen a lot of small pickups and jeeps with them recently. It should do the job, and it's power angle.The mount for it is small, and I think the hydraulics are on the plow(I'm not sure. Also consider an urethane edge like dino said. It should help a lot. <p>Justin