1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snowblower quits

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bob, Feb 15, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm posting his for a friend. He has a Troy built snowblower with a Tecumseh 5hp engine. After it runs about 15 minutes it stops working. After about 2 or 3 hours it will start again, but for only about 15 minutes. It sounds like its running out of gas. It's had the fuel system drained and fresh fuel put in. I'm wondering if it's the coil.
  2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

first thing I would check is to see if the gas tank is vented. Maybe someone has put the wrong cap on it that does not have a vent in it. If it is vented I would run it until it quits and then check the ignition fire and see if you have any. If not there is a good possibility that you have a bad coil. A partially blocked fuel system would do that too. If you have ignition fire when it quits and you are getting gas also, may have a deeper problem such as a sticking valve. Good Luck. never did care for Tecumseh very much.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I forgot to mention that we checked the fuel cap.
    We also were thinking of some kind of blockage.
    I also hate Tecumseh engines- I had one on an edger that burned up after about 10 hours of use.

Thanks- I'll let you know.
  4. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Bob, We've had a rash of problems with the Tecumseh cap not venting properly, especially on brand new units. We had a lot a angry customers. Most of the problems are with the red gas caps, the rubber peice in the cap that has the vent hole in it gets partially blocked by the aluminum umbrella (splash guard). There is also a service bulletin on some 5 and 5.5 hp Tecumseh gas tanks that were drilled improperly, the holes for the outlet at the bottom of the tank were partially blocked.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Once again reaffirming to me that Tecumseh is JUNK
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob if cap is ok try replacing spark plug. Been a lot of bad plugs built that quit when heated up.
  7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that sure sounds like a fuel venting problem. I would try running it without the gas cap for the same period of time and see if it quits. I'll be willing to bet that that hour or so that it's not starting is because the fuel system is slowing venting/releasing that vacuum somewhere/somehow.

If not proceed on to the ignition system like 1grnlwn said, first replace the plug - then head on to the spark regulator (if the engine has one) and finally the solid state ignition pack - good luck.