Snowblower that replaces mower deck on a W/B mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've posted this on Plowsite already... Still awaiting any responce, so I thought I'd check on the green side too!

I've seen pics of them somewhere before, but does anyone make such an animal anymore? A snowblower attachment that attaches to the engine/trans/drive wheels of a large walkbehind mower, something like a 17hp, hydro drive type.

RAD technologies came to mind, but a search of their site really didn't come up with anything. Just wondering if any others exist out there?

Just picked up a 48" Great Dane Scamper hydro walk. it's a 2007 model, fixed deck... Kinda need a big snow blower too.. Thought if I could combine the 2 and save on having to have another engine sitting around all the time I'd be better off.

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I know that exmark makes a snowblower attachment that they use on there frontrunners and navigator's but not sure about a walk behind. The blower is good size as well. A 48 inch plus width.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I know that you can get a PLOW for a wb, idk about a snowblower.

4. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

I don't think they are available. Ariens sells a big broom or a big snowblower, but none that adapt to a walkbehind. I know a guy who mounted a blade to a mower, and had troubles with the carb icing up and not running well. That might be an issue with this applicaiton as well.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

RAD has them. They only make them for Exmark and Bobcat walkbehinds though.

Click Here

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used these?

I would consider using the snowblower for my home for my TTHP. I really don't think I would pull my trailer around town in the winter though.

7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

The old Gravely's were built as a "one engine-multi attachments" arrangement.

For whatever reason, the LCO/snow removal businesses never really got behind them (this is a pun too!).

Today, with the price of our mowers, you'd be hard pressed to find many LCO's that want to tear up their machines for the snow season as most LCO's, I'd assume, want some heavy metal down time for repairs/maintenance work when time permits. Besides, you'd probably need weights and chains as well.

For us, we use shovels, now a BP blower, and an Ariens 722 for speed and getting a clean-to-the-pavement sidewalk or driveway.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely Rapid M will accept a blower, a broom, 30" deck, and all of the older items that use the 4 bolts to attach to the front of the unit. Bad news is.................10K for a 9 HP unit.http://www.gravely.com/products/rapid/rapid_m/

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

But a lot of city and state gov't did buy them. For those of us that still have a 2-wheeler ( or more than one in most cases ) , we tend to have one power unit per 2 or 3 attachments.

10. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

just a point of interest- not that it will be of any use thou..I got a factory 48" blower 'Scag' on my hydro Scag STHM. was ordered that way to best of my knowledge. (believe it was municipal owned as another had a broom on it). But no longer around- discontinued same year they came out..used it in storm first time the other day- was very impressive until the Kohler (replacement) 25 started to puck-out on power from one side. Geno