snowplow fluid contamination

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by General Grounds, Jul 4, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i know this is a little late or you can early for that manner, but anyway. during this past winter about half way through the storm my western snowplow filter would become clogged and i would have to run to the shop change the fluid, filter and gasket. the filter seem to have a grayish slug stuck to it. everytime i would drain the fluid i wiped the resoiver clean. im woundering if my packing seals are goin bad, other than that im stumped, any ideas???? tony

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Did you bleed all old fluid from the cylinders? If not, try that. Cylinders hold a lot of fluid and will contaminate your new fluid.

Mike

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: mike would i be bleedin them by removing the hose and then collapsing the cylinder? thanks tony

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes. And if the fluid is quite dirty, I would re-fill the entire system and flush it out again. It's very important on Western plows that the fluid is clean. Every fall, I bleed all the fluid from the cylinders and change the filter. I eliminate a lot of problems that way. Good luck.

Mike