snowplowing

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by ford, Jan 28, 2000.

1. ford

ford Guest

Anybody using a atv with a blade for<br>snowclearing work?<br>How does it work out?<br>bill<br>galaxie72@msn.com

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy uses a Suzuki 4 stroke 250 cc quad with a plow to do walks at the local high school. I did those same walks for 5 seasons, and we used (2) 26&quot;+ wide snowblowers. We had ALOT of sidewalks and stairs to do. A 1-3&quot; storm would take us about 2 1/2 hours. This was with 8 men shoveling, and 2 of us on blowers. The shovelers just did stairs and up near entrance doors. We had a good system down. The year after I left, they got the quad. With a good driver, it cut plowing time down to 1 1/2 hours. They even added a sidewalk over 200 ft long since I left. He likes the plow. It has held up well. The only thing that hasn't, is the wear bar, or &quot;cutting edge&quot;. They eat them up quick. I told him to get a lenth of 3/8&quot; or 1/2&quot; flat stock, and make his own. I think it's a 1/4&quot; originally. They run about $25 each. Other than that, they plan on getting them for the middle schools as well. That's how much they like them for plowing. They run chains and wheel weights on it. <br>I also have a buddy who now plows with an F-350, who started plowing at 13 with a quad. Did it until he got his drivers liscense. He had chains on his Honda, but he went 300+ (big boy) so he didn't need any extra weight. <br>Yes, quads can handle plowing. They maneuver well too, with a good rider on them. Plows are cheap enough for them too.<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We use two atv with plows for sidewalks, We have reduced our time and man power with them one machine can remove 2 miles of walks in 1 hr.<br><p>----------<br>paul<br>

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Chuck they need a urethane edge for that atv.<br>HAHA Going to install mine on my v plow on Sat<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

dino<br> let us know how it works!!are you going to get rid of the rubber wipers?is the urethane soft or flexable enough to butt up to each other to get rid of the rubber?<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

6. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

I have a 98 yamaha grizzly with a 50 inch v blade that has no problem plowing 40 foot driveways with 12 inches of snow in them

7. ADM Services

ADM Services LawnSite Member

Bill,<br>How does that v blade work on your quad? Does it have moving parts? <p>Andy &gt;www.admservices.com

8. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Andy<br>The plow is hinged in the middle like a boss plow.On each half of the blade there are five position holes that an adjustment rod slips into and is held with a pin clip.There is a manual lift arm that you can install or discard it like I did and raise it with an electric winch.