Snowy/White looking layer on small area of the bottom of pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Az Gardener, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what it is, the pond id otherwise perfect. The water is perfectly clear, great balance of plants and fish. A "pond guy" told me it was a mold or fungus but did not know a name or have a solution.

Anyone else have any Ideas? It looks like a fresh layer of snow, just a light dusting as some rocks are visible through it. It is about 4'x4' in diameter in a 8,000 gallon pond. In the area it is in the water is about 8"-10" deep, it is just down stream from the bog, the water flow is minimal about 2000 GPH, and it is under a bridge (shady). But I have seen it before in another pond and it was in full sun at that place.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It almost sounds like cotton except that cotton generally attached itself to the fish. Is there a lot of calicum in the water? Again it wouldn't be a 4x4 area if that is the problem. Most fungi attach to the fish.

The next question I would ask, are the fish healthy, and staying healthy? And does this area change in size?

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The fish are fine. The spot/area is new,we just cleaned out the pond 2-months ago and built the bog to filter the water. Everything is working great. I would expect this spot to expand if it got that big in two months. The base of the pond is covered in 3"-4" of pea gravel the snow/cotton is firm/solid in the spaces of the pea gravel. The same gravel has been in the pond for years.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Is there anyway to get a picture of it? I am wondering, albeit to myself, is it a calcium buildup? Thats just a shot into the dark though.

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen this in a few ponds before. You said it was new as the pond was just cleaned, the times i have seen it was from dirty ponds and an accumulation of "much" which leads me to believe it is a fungus.

Can you remove it? is it soft? what happens if you move the water near it? does it move it is secure to the rocks?