1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So, buy'n used?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 29, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Find out how long the truck has been sitting. Even new trucks for that matter. I was not really aware of the damages caused by not being operated steadily but have had to deal with them.

-Injector O-rings...$500
    -Air Compressor (today)....prob $800

Not really a lot of money but what can catch you off guard is the down time. Fortunitely, I have more then one truck.

The other problems I have had:
    -Replaced King Pins...$500
    -Replaced Tie Rod Ends...$200
    -New tire, mount & balance...$250

Tow truck: $160

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and I work my truck for every dollar it cost me. If you have a $30,000 budget and plan to buy a $30,000 truck....I would recommend a $28,000 truck.

There's other things I can still do to it like new:
    -ABS Sensors
    ...but the truck is solid. The gaskets I can blame on sitting, the other is just the 'usual' stuff you could say. Personally it would be a lot of money but from the business end it is a small expense. Keep yourself a nest egg for anything you buy because you never know what little thing may happen when you don't want it to.

International is a really good truck and I'll be buying another one soon enough. Once I've got a new Air Compressor on there I should be solid for the road ahead.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

This is the cornbinder ?

The stuff you listed was pretty cheap repairs a king pin job in this area would have cost atleast 1500 dollars. I can't see why the king pins would be worn out so fast unless they were never greased properly same with the tie rod ends. The air compressor would be a easier fix I imagine its a belt drive version. Usually you know when a air compressor is about to crap is when your air tanks have white snot in them. Injector O rings is just a problem International has with unit injectors the same problems the 7.3 PSD shares.
    A new tire for 250 is also pretty cheap especially if its a 11R22.5 tire a cheap drive tire (overseas) is 350-400 dollars.

Owning a medium duty truck does cost a little money to repair but its part of owning a truck.

One of the newbies in the excavation business bought himself a tandem axle gravel truck. He really didn't have any clue on buying a truck so he bought one. The other contractors laughed at the price he paid for the truck which was too much to start with. In the 3 years or so he has owned the truck he has spent atleast 20 grand.

When owning a truck you gotta beable to do most of the repairs like changing a air compressor or changing a tire etc. Jobs like king pins has to be done by a machine shop.
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

Thought you'd be first! What is Cornbinder???

The King Pin job was through a friend of a friend...........usually looking at around $900-$1100 here.

One tie rod end was worn, not in real need of replacement though. I had all, good or not, replaced for peace of mind.

The compressor blew a gasket and I lost a 1/2 gallon of oil.........so I had black stuff, not white stuff. Yes, belt drive. More cost effective to pay 3hrs labor then tackle it myself........busy time of the season.

The DT466 engine does not have issue with injector O-rings. The owners of two very reputable shops, specializing in diesels, didn't think of o-rings until the very last thing. Reason being its rare.

Tires I can get a wholesale.

Expenses have been there but nothing that is crippling. Once hte odds and ends are caught up on I should be good for a long time.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Cornbinder is the old nickname for International. As International was a very common farm truck.

You want to see a tough air compressor to change is one on a International truck powered with a 6v92 Detroit diesel. The compressor drives off the back of the engine gear train. To access the air compressor you need to work through the dog house in the cab. It is a pain to change I have had to change one.

I'am so used to doing my own repairs it doesn't bother me its just part of owning a truck.

It just seems like when things start breaking it happens all at once and happens when you need the truck the most.
  5. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

Now that you've had the truck for almost a full season, approx. how much have you spent on repairs/maintenance? It should be interesting to see if the maintenance costs at this point next year are much lower, now that you've fixed all these things already. I guess I'm in a similar position as you were last year, as I've recently purchased a similar truck, and I'm just tryin to get an idea of what I can expect for maintenance costs once I put it to work full time next season.
  6. tthomass

from N. VA

My costs are more or less as posted above + $238 for an oil change. No more mileage then what we put on trucks in this industry I'll have another oil change this winter and one mid season next year. So lets just say $500 for serive next year. I don't really see anything else going out on the truck, should be solid. If I choose to replace the ABS sensors I'll be looking at around $300-$325 but don't plan to.

I ran the truck over to the shop tonight and opened the hood after I got there. I had been there maybe 2 minutes, looked up under and oil was literally dripping, almost streaming under the truck. Looking closer I believe the oil line, that they replaced this past Friday, is spraying the oil for whatever reason. So I hope anyway! That way I shouldn't have to pay the bill from Friday's work vs the $800 to replace the compressor.

We drove the Chevy today and what a difference that truck is. Now, I love both trucks but the Chevy is so comfortable to ride in. I got the to jobsite this morning all I + help wanted to do was sleep from the 'relaxed' ride out there.
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

People talk crap about the Gm's IFS but honestly, they are the best riding trucks out there period.
  8. tthomass

from N. VA

I'm very happy with both of my Chevy's. One is a pleasure sort of deal but the '02 2500HD w/ 6.0L and 4.10 rear is one hell of a truck. I don't usually tow more then 10k with it or I'd want more power but I have very much worked the truck, as in using it and often at capacity, and it is just as mechanically sound as the day I got it. Good tranny matched with one of the best gas engines ever made and a solid chasis = winner.